Anyone using 1/8 hp pump for keg cleaner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geniz

Reaction score
Northern tool has a 1/8 hp submersible pump on sale for $35 and a coupon to bring it down to $30. Has anyone used a 1/8 hp submersible pump for a DIY keg/carboy cleaner? Does it have enough power. Others I've seen use 1/4 or 1/6 hp pumps. Thoughts?

Just bought and returned a 1/8 hp pump from the Depot. I was going to use it to circulate chilled water through an imersion cooler. Not enough flow for that! While I had it I rigged it up for a carboy cleaner and it worked great. I just could not justify the $70.00 that the Depot charged to clean a carboy. If you could get one for $30.00, jump on it. My set-up was pumping virtically through a 1/2 " perforated PVC capped pipe. I was able to drill enough holes to envelop the entire container with what appeared to be enough pressure to dislodge any "crusties". Good luck.

I bought a small submersible pond pump from harbor freight for about $12. I use it to pump sanitizer and for recirculating ice water through my plate chiller, works great!

Northern tool has a 1/8 hp submersible pump on sale for $35 and a coupon to bring it down to $30. Has anyone used a 1/8 hp submersible pump for a DIY keg/carboy cleaner? Does it have enough power. Others I've seen use 1/4 or 1/6 hp pumps. Thoughts?

My keg washer requires a 1/2 hp pump and large flow to get the 3" spray ball
going.
Short test run video without keg, click on picture.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Back