Rogue Good Chit Pilsner Clone, Need suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red131

Reaction score
Hello All:

Want to try and clone the Rogue Good Chit Pilsner I had when I was up in Oregon. On the bottle, it says:

5 Ingredients:
Brewed using 5 ingredients: Weyermann acidulated, Rogue Micro Barley Farm Dare Floor Malt, Rogue Micro Hopyard Liberty Hops, Pacman Yeast (although the website says Czech Pils Wyeast 2278) and Free Range Coastal Water.
Specs: 13º PLATO, 40 IBU, 77 AA, 6º Lovibond

The recipe I have come up with for a 5 gallon batch is:

9.5 lb - Floor Malted Bohemian Pilsner Malt
1.5 lb - Acidulated Malt
2.0 oz - Liberty Hops @ 60 min
1.0 oz - Liberty Hops @ 41 min
1.0 ea - Rogue PacMan Yeast (Alc. Tolerance 12% ABV, Flocculation med-high, Attenuation 72-78%, Temp. Range 60-72°F (15-22°C)

Question:
1. Does the recipe look anything close to the original specifications? I double-checked all my conversion and they are spot on.
2. What would you suggest I ferment this beer at?
3. How should I lager this beer and for how long?

Thanks for any help!

Chris

Here is the updated recipe. I emailed Rogue and John said that the grain bill looks good, however, he corrected me by saying that they use Horizon hops and Wyeast 2278. This is not what it says on the bottle. I've decided that I will stick with the Liberty and PacMan as it states on the bottle.

5 Gallon
OG: 1.054
FG: 1.013
ABV: 5.27%
Bitterness: 40

9.5 lb - Floor Malted Bohemian Pilsner Malt
1.5 lb - Acidulated Malt
2.0 oz - Liberty Hops @ 60 min
1.0 oz - Liberty Hops @ 41 min
1.0 ea - Rogue PacMan Yeast (1764)

Primary: 55 degrees F
Lager: 45 degrees F for 4 weeks

It takes a minute to change the info on the web. The labels are printed and used even if wrong. I'd go with the web info if you want a clone.

Out of curiousity, I am going to brew both versions and see which one ends up closer.

Hey red131. I was wondering if you brewed both variations and how they turned out. I'm going to try and sneak another pilsner in, I lager in my tuck under garage in winter. I just had a Good Chit, its so good I need a keg of it.

I didn't get to brew both. I did the one with the Horizon hops, but it did not taste like the Good Chit beer. It may have been a bad brewing process however.

Sorry that wasn't very helpful. I may try this again in the future and will post back if I do.

Or is you do it, let me know your results :)

Red131

Brewed this last week.

Used #2278.
Liberty and horizon hops, with some later additions.
Probably dry hopping with 10 days left.

Hoping for the best.

Holy MolY that is way too much acid malt. I put 4 ozs in my German Pilsners to drop pH to 5.3.

I plugged 1.5 lbs into my Pils recipe and pH dropped to 4.0. That is incredibly acidic and would taste extremely twangy/sour. I would not use that much acid malt in anything.

Back