DIY eBay Temp Controller Thermowell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crimsonwine

Reaction score
Since the temp sensor that comes with the eBay Temp Controller is smaller than the standard temp probe on a LOVE controller I needed a thermowell that was not over sized. If your building a Brutus 10 and using the ebay controller, then this should interest you.

I came across some info on making one so I put a little video together showing it in action.

It can be done pretty inexpensively and it works VERY well.

I had some 1/4" OD soft copper left over from my B10 build.
I went to Menards and bought a Watts A-25 1/2"MPT to 1/4" compression fitting for $2.81.

Remove the compression fitting and using a 1/4" drill bit drill out the center. It is very easy to do.

Now cut a length of copper tubing to what ever length you want.

Put a dab of flux in one end and crimp shut (I used a pair of vice grips)

Cut a little piece of solder and drop it in the tube

Now holding the tube with pliers put a torch to the end to heat up and melt the solder. probably takes five seconds. Clean up tube to remove soot.

Let cool and then thread open end through the fitting and slide on compression fitting. adjust length and tighten....you now have a thermowell.

Install in your favorite 1/2" fitting...

Here is a video I made.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNdYrn3PrgM]DIY Thermowell for eBay temp Controller - YouTube[/ame]

Back