Rouse the yeast & Raise the temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopHead73

Brewmaster at Jbyrd Brewing, Hophead
Reaction score
Celebration Ale Clone (extract kit)
White Labs California Ale Yeast (liquid vial, no starter, I know next time I'll make a starter)
Pitched at 68 degrees and good activity 18 hours later, got up to 71 degrees for the first 4 days of fermentation, but from days 5-10 its been around 64 degrees (house got cold and didn't have a temp control system) and the last 2 days have given gravity readings of only 1.020.
I aerated by pouring back and forth between the ferm bucket and bottling bucket and shook the bucket up before pitching, which is what I usually do and seems to work well for aeration on my other batches, but I did just order an O2 aeration system for my next batch.

I also did just get a Fermwrap and Johnson Digital Temp Controller to help in temp control during the colder months.
My question is would it work to swirl the bucket a bit to resuspend some of the yeast and use the Fermwrap to get the temp back up to 70 degrees to help it get down to a FG closer to the estimated 1.012?
I don't want to create any bottle bombs with a 1.020 gravity reading.
I contacted the store (Brewer's Apprentice in Freehold, NJ) where I get my kits and they weren't to sure if that would do anything, but shouldn't it help the yeast finish up since I feel like the yeast is probably just dormant from the colder temps? White Labs suggest 68-73 degrees.
Or is there anything else I can do to help it out?

If it's stable at 1.020 for 3 days, it's time to bottle.

Don't you run the risk of bottle bombs with a 1.020 gravity?
I've never had problems before with extract brewing with reaching my targeted FG.

At this point is the yeast just done?
The sample I tasted yesterday from my Thief does taste damn good (very close to Sierra's version IMO)

Back