My First All Grain Heff is Still Bubbling After 2 Weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomridder

Reaction score
Two weeks ago we boiled our first batch of all grain heff
10# wheat
10# pilsner
Hallatau hoops 60 min
White Labs 1600 ml yeast starter

The recipe said ferment at 64 deg F 10-14 days and bottle. Well it is 14 days and the ferment lock is still bubbling every 15 seconds. We had a rigorous ferm in 8 hours after the boil. Of course I broke my hydrometer before we finished the boil.

Should I keep waiting for the bubbling to stop?

Does all grain ferment or bubble longer than those partial grain kits?

Tom

Your air lock can bubble days after fermentation ends , co2 is escaping from liquid .

I myself would wait until 21 day mark.

Cheers

I would get a new hydrometer, even though you do not have the OG, you should have an idea of what the FG should be and you can compare that to what your gravity is.

No need to cold crash a hefe. You want that yeast in suspension. After a couple weeks in the keg chilled, I usually shake the keg to rouse the yeast. It just tastes weird and thin without the yeast in suspension.

How did you come up with your yeast starter? Was it on a stir plate? 1600ml seems a little small for 10 gallons unless you have very fresh yeast and are using a stir plate.

Also, I always have a backup hydrometer. And a backup propane tank. Just lessons I have learned.

Eric

Latest posts

Back