National Homebrew Day Giveaway - Enter Now - Weekend Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > Mini Fridge kegerator running too cold
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2011, 12:55 AM   #1
Gammon N Beer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: WI
Posts: 725
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Default Mini Fridge kegerator running too cold

Hi

I am converting the GE WMR04GAVBB 4.5 cu. ft. compact fridge into a keggerator.

I had to move the thermostat and have done so. I am though, finding that the refrigerator is running too cold. It is getting down to 20F. When I test ran it before the modification it ran at my serving temp of 45F.

Any ideas why it won't run correctly now?
Gammon N Beer is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 01:02 AM   #2
phoenixs4r
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hayward, California
Posts: 1,516
Liked 55 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default

What did you modify?

Just moves the thermostat? Try an eBay controller maybe?
phoenixs4r is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 01:11 AM   #3
Gammon N Beer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: WI
Posts: 725
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixs4r View Post
What did you modify?

Just moves the thermostat? Try an eBay controller maybe?
To make room for the kegs, I needed to move the thermostat from the front of the unit to the rear. To do so, I had to lengthen the electrical wires. I clipped them added a foot of wire and reattached them.
Gammon N Beer is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 01:37 AM   #4
beaksnbeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
beaksnbeer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New Port Richey, Florida
Posts: 2,827
Liked 493 Times on 327 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Default

Sounds like the sensor for the t-stat has moved.
beaksnbeer is online now
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 03:19 AM   #5
Gammon N Beer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: WI
Posts: 725
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaksnbeer View Post
Sounds like the sensor for the t-stat has moved.
Yes. I had turned the freezer part, the plate that held the gas down. The sensor had been attached to it. So now I took the sensor and placed it back on that plate. The temperature is rising and the compressor has not kicked on. I should know in the morning if that is the fix.
Gammon N Beer is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:23 AM   #6
Gammon N Beer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: WI
Posts: 725
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammon N Beer View Post
Yes. I had turned the freezer part, the plate that held the gas down. The sensor had been attached to it. So now I took the sensor and placed it back on that plate. The temperature is rising and the compressor has not kicked on. I should know in the morning if that is the fix.
I took off for the weekend so the refrig sat for a couple of days unopened. I got home and the temperature is 39F.

I had hoped for about 45F. I can live with colder beer though.

Could it be that the thermostats temperature prob was set up so that the length of the prob, 12", was touched by the freezer compartment and I changed that so now only the tip of the probe touches the freezer panel? Would that make a difference?
Gammon N Beer is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:16 AM   #7
beaksnbeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
beaksnbeer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New Port Richey, Florida
Posts: 2,827
Liked 493 Times on 327 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Default

Yes the more in contact the more accurate the temp you can also adjust the temp by turning the temp adjustment screw
beaksnbeer is online now
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:03 AM   #8
Gammon N Beer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: WI
Posts: 725
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaksnbeer View Post
Yes the more in contact the more accurate the temp you can also adjust the temp by turning the temp adjustment screw
Not going to be easy as there is about 12"s of temp probe to reattach to the freezer plate. I may try using some clamps until I can see it working.

But do tell more please about that, "temperature adjustment screw". I seem to have either on or off right now. Are you saying I can readjust the whole system at a turn of the screw? Where would one find that screw?

Thanks
Gammon N Beer is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:26 AM   #9
day_trippr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Stow, MA
Posts: 12,622
Liked 1638 Times on 1313 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammon N Beer View Post
[...]But do tell more please about that, "temperature adjustment screw". I seem to have either on or off right now. Are you saying I can readjust the whole system at a turn of the screw? Where would one find that screw?

Thanks
Probably came from this thread.

But I'm not sure it's on target for your issue. I'd just find a way to get the probe back in full contact with the cold plate...

Cheers!
day_trippr is online now
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:53 AM   #10
DustinV80
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Macon, Georgia
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammon N Beer View Post
To make room for the kegs, I needed to move the thermostat from the front of the unit to the rear. To do so, I had to lengthen the electrical wires. I clipped them added a foot of wire and reattached them.
some thermostats measure the resistance between two wires. if you added length to the wires you probably changed the resistance. if you can find a place to move it to where you can have shorter wires it may get better.
DustinV80 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DYI Kegerator from old mini fridge cpandrewschmidt Kegerators and Keezers 0 10-20-2011 10:07 PM
Mini fridge for a kegerator - help needed. CanadianQuaffer Kegerators and Keezers 2 09-17-2011 11:32 AM
What mini fridge for kegerator? karbinator Kegerators and Keezers 12 06-08-2011 06:39 AM
GE Mini Fridge Kegerator Conversion Cacaman Kegerators and Keezers 2 02-09-2011 10:12 PM
Best kegerator mini-fridge MizzouBrewer Kegerators and Keezers 1 03-05-2010 05:58 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS