Idea Request - E-Kettle for 5 Gallon Batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bribo179

Reaction score
First off. I need to do this whole project on the cheap if I can!

As the subject says ...I wanting to do an eKettle setup for the boil (and only boiling) my wort. I have created a MLT out of a 10 gallon Rubbermaid cooler and can heat strike/sparge water on my stove.

I'd like to do the kettle similar to (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/countertop-brutus-20-a-131411/).

I was going to get a 32 quart aluminum kettle ..possibly this one. (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CHKL3G/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20)

I didn't know what type of element I'd need to boil my wort. I don't see myself ever doing more than 5 gallon batches so I don't need to boil more than a typical full batch boil. I'd really like to keep this on 120v since my garage is detached and it would be difficult and expensive to run a 220 out there.

Do i need any type of controller for the element since I am doing straight boils? I have no interest in doing any RIMS type system and I would prefer this setup to be as non complicated as possible!

If you guys can recommend parts can you put in links!

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to tell folks that 2KW @ 120V wasn't enough for 5 gallon batches but with a well insulated turkey fryer style pot, I've revised my opinion. 2KW will get 6-7 gal to a decent rolling boil by many reports here.

I do think you want a tall / narrow turkey fryer style over the one you linked to which would have significantly more heat loss off that large top surface area. For 5 gal, you'll need 100% of that element so you're right, a controller really isn't necessary. Do verify the circuit you plan to brew on is 20A though.

All the electric parts including the element you can pick up at Home Depot. For the kettle, consider something like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd also recommend a tall/narrow pot for this project. The smaller diameter can make sealing the element by some methods a little trickier, but not impossible and well worth it for the decreased heat loss from the top.

30/32qt was a bit small for me for full five gallon batches when I was boiling on propane (but workable with Fermcap drops - what a lifesaver!). However, with your 2000W, you should be able to fit a full batch in there quite comfortably. You'll get a boil (with some insulation) but are unlikely to boil over from a starting volume of 6 gallons or so. Still might want to keep some Fermcap around in case.

Another option, and the one that I chose, was to go with a 3000W kettle by using two 1500W elements. Your element and mounting costs are doubled, but you can run this off any two household circuits with GFCI and without significant other loads. My informal survey of my potential brewing locations revealed many 20A circuits...but few 20A outlets. It's a bit ungainly to have an extra cord running around, but for me it offered a lot more flexibility. Additionally, although I have a controller/PID setup (useful for the mash) I haven't wanted to throttle down from 3000W at all for my 5 gallon batches. If you have two circuits in that garage, you could consider it.

I wouldn't be scared of the 32 qt. pot. I did many-a-batch in a 32qt pot on a propane burner before I upgraded to a keggle. As was mentioned above, you're not going to reach the boil very violently, so you shouldn't have to worry too much about boil-over.

The price difference is only $5, but if your budget is tight, then use that $$ elsewhere.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Thunder-Group-A...aultDomain_0&hash=item564203b7b2#ht_500wt_922

I use 2X 1500W Elements for 6gal batches without an issue, maybe you could go this route?

Latest posts

Back