Roughly how long to finish a 1.070 OG cyser?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brick

Reaction score
I have been thinking about brewing a cyser in the fall (once local cider becomes available) and I'm leaning toward a less-strong variant like the AHS kit. That starts at around 1.070. Roughly how long should it take for something like that to be ready to drink? An ale of that gravity I would expect to need 3-4 weeks to ferment plus 6 to 8 weeks in the bottle. Then again, some of the other threads on cyser have left me wondering if it might take significantly longer to clear up and condition. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Tim

I find cysers usually take at least a 2-3 months to clear, sometimes longer. Sticking them in an ice-cold fridge can speed it up a bit. Once bottled, they can carbonate quickly, but the apple/honey aroma and flavor usually won't be at their peak for several months.

i make cysers in that range all the time simply because they are delicious and way faster than a regular mead. 1.5 months after throwing everything together, it's drinkable, and quite good. just gets better and better with age though. like medsenfey said, cold crash it the night before racking into bottles and you'll be all set.

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like I can more-or-less treat it like a heavy ale, then. If I brew in early October it should be nicely conditioned about when winter really arrives, which would be convenient.

Back