Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > does this recipe sound ok?

Old 06-23-2011, 02:00 PM   #1
9am53
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default does this recipe sound ok?

I have now made a couple kit beers, and I am about to make another, and want it to taste good. My last ones have had that cidery taste from the pound of dextrose I have been using, and I don't like it. I went on beer calculus and plugged in some stuff and just want to run it by you to see if I am on the right track.

1 can of coopers dark ale
3 pounds of amber LME from homebrewgearcanada
1 pound of maltodextrin
crystal 60L (can't remember the amount)
S-04 yeast.

one quarterpound of the crystal yields an OG of 1050, should I remove the maltodextrin and go straight malt, no sugar?

Beercalculus says my FG should be 1015, this seems really high, would it not attenuate down lower?

thanks.

Old 06-23-2011, 04:06 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6054 Times on 4314 Posts
Likes Given: 1558

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9am53 View Post
I have now made a couple kit beers, and I am about to make another, and want it to taste good. My last ones have had that cidery taste from the pound of dextrose I have been using, and I don't like it. I went on beer calculus and plugged in some stuff and just want to run it by you to see if I am on the right track.

1 can of coopers dark ale
3 pounds of amber LME from homebrewgearcanada
1 pound of maltodextrin
crystal 60L (can't remember the amount)
S-04 yeast.

one quarterpound of the crystal yields an OG of 1050, should I remove the maltodextrin and go straight malt, no sugar?

Beercalculus says my FG should be 1015, this seems really high, would it not attenuate down lower?

thanks.
I'd lose the maltodextrine! It's a "thickener". My son used it in his rootbeer. I'm not sure what he did, but he must have used more than the 2 tablespoons- he made root beer Jello!

MD isn't a fermentable sugar. It's to provide body and mouthfeel, and makes the beer have more body. It will do no good in your beer!

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 06-23-2011, 04:46 PM   #3
9am53
Recipes 

oh geez, I got it at the LHBS thinking I could replace my dextrose with it. OK, so if I leave it out does everything else look good?

Old 06-23-2011, 04:59 PM   #4
Hernando
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 110

Are you adding hops?
"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, it is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver." --Jack Handey
O'tega Labrewtories

Old 06-23-2011, 05:17 PM   #5
9am53
Recipes 

no hops, I assumed that the coopers kit would have enough in it. I added hops to another kit beer and it was hops overkill, so I am not planning on adding any.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:13 PM   #6
PT Ray
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Your cidery flavor is more than likely not caused from using dextrose but from your method. If you would like to omit the sugar and use all malt it may help but only because it masks off flavors better then sugar.

Personally I would stick with something simple like using the Dark Ale kit with some lme and dextrose until you find what's causing the cidery taste. I would start by looking at your water and fermentation temps.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:41 PM   #7
unionrdr
struggling author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2967 Times on 2561 Posts
Likes Given: 2096

One pound of dextrose isn't a lot,especially in a 6G cooper's batch. My 1st used the OS lager with 1kg (2.2lbs) of their brewing sugar (80%dextrose,20%maltodextrin). It eventually came out fine,despite my noobness.
That flavor is usually due to high pitch temps,& high ferment temps. I've since started making different styles with Cooper's cans. I change up what kind of DME I use,usually 3lbs. Then add 2 oz of different hops in 3 additions. Comes out fine bulk primed & bottle aged for the right time.
If I use DME,I don't add dextrose,& still wind up between 4.8%-5.3%+. The dark ale I'm just about done with now will be secondaried with 4oz of bourbon soaked oak chips. & the 1st FG test is already over 5.7%.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:45 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6054 Times on 4314 Posts
Likes Given: 1558

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9am53 View Post
oh geez, I got it at the LHBS thinking I could replace my dextrose with it. OK, so if I leave it out does everything else look good?
Yes, but I don't now how much bittering the Cooper's LME has. Leave out the MD (as it's NOT a replacement for sugar!) and use the extract you have. It should turn out fine!

Make sure you keep it under 68 degrees- S04 is a great yeast, but above 70 it gets very fruity.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 06-23-2011, 07:53 PM   #9
unionrdr
struggling author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2967 Times on 2561 Posts
Likes Given: 2096

The dark ale can is part of the Original Series,meaning it only has a rather neutral bittering addition with Pride of Ringwood hops. And not a lot at that,since some say it has a creamy quality. I changed mine up so it could withstand the 4oz of French oak chips soaked with 5 jiggers of 8 year old bourbon the last couple of weeks that'll be added in secondary.
I brewed it with the provided ale yeast in a small starter,3lbs of Munton's plain amber DME,& 1oz each of Kent Golding & Haulertau hops in 3 additions. So it has a bit more malt body & hop aroma/flavors. The dark ale kit as is has no aroma/flavor hops.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:06 PM   #10
9am53
Recipes 

Unionrdr, you say you add the hops in 3 additions...is this while you are boiling the LME?

I may go to the store and grab an ounce of hops to add too then...I want to get a baseline, so I won't add as much as you quite yet.