the old dog series, could use quite a bit of help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edb23

Reaction score
so after i finish with my current brewing projects, i want to brew a series of beers that require extended aging or are very old styles, or both. I want to brew 12 beers as sort of an extended research project on high gravity fermentation and diverse brewing techniques, and so far i have on the list:

Tripel
Barley Wine
Old Ale
Dopple Bock
Wee Heavy
Russian Imperial Stout
Braggot (I'm going for up to 30 to 40 percent honey on this one, sort of a going to be a bridge into mead making)
Gruit (wormwood heavy)

So that's eight. anyone got suggestions for the other four? also, anyone have any tried and true recipes for the styles i mentioned? I know i know search function and all that, but i feel like a lot of people also are interested in the same kind of stuff, so putting all this in one place might be cool. help a brewer out :mug:

that might be a good one, i want to experiment with lambics and such, but i want to limit the total grain to glass time to about a year and a half max. what lambics could i look into for that time frame? any recipes?

I suppose you could do just about any double/triple/imperial <insert your favorite style here>...

My specific suggestions:
Perhaps an imperial porter? Age it on some oak, preferably bourbon-soaked?
I would also definitely consider a bier de garde or strong saison.
What about a good strong, spiced Christmas Ale

The original whiskely was made with stout aged in used bourbon casks. Maybe a stout conditioned in secondary with bourbon soaked oak? That one goes all the way back to colonial times on this continent.

I would second an Russian Imperial Stout. I have a Double Chocloate Oatmeal stout that is 11% abv that I fermented for 4 months and will bottle age until Novemebr-December timeframe before I drink.

The RIS is definitely one im more excited for, but like the rest of them i don't even know where to begin. I'm thinking each part of the series would be focusing on something a little different (I want to oak the old ale, for example) for the RIS I really want to focus on bittering with grains as well as hops. any recipes?

This is my Imperial Stout. It's a clone recipe of a Stone Beer. I forget the name. I got incredible efficiency which shot the OG way up.

16.0 lbs 2 row malt
0.5 lbs CaraPils malt
0.5 lbs crystal malt
2.0 lb flaked oats
1.0 lb of chocaltae malts
0.25 lbs of roasted barley
0.25 lbs black malt
3.25 oz cocoa
0.25 oz Galena Hops - 90 min
0.4 oz Willamette Hops - 60 min
0.4 oz Ahtanum Hops - 60 min
0.38 oz Summit Hops - 60 min
Yeast:
White labs WLP002 (English Ale)

I just wanted to say that I support this. :mug:

Other than that, I don't have any suggestions, your list is about what I was thinking of doing.

when did you add the coco? and what kind of crystal did you use for the recipe?

Ha and thanks for the support Olddog

I know theres a lot of people on here with some good ideas for this, anybody got some good old ale recipes?

Back