Mash paddle design check

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rudu81

Reaction score
Because I can, I've made this prototype for my mash paddle, but I am curious if it will be effective. I appreciate all opinions and comments. Thanks!

PA1700011.jpg

Is that a Lilo and Stitch mash paddle? Your beer might hate you for that.

From a functionality standpoint, as long as the paddle has holes in it to help break up doughballs and get a good stir it will work fine.

My mash paddle is a simple paddle with a bunch of holes drilled in it, mine isnt fancy at all, but it works!

I might suggest moving the topmost stitch to the bottom position, this will get you a better cutout along the bottom to help break up doughballs on the bottom of the mash tun.

what'd you use for that cut? i'd round the corners if working in a keggle but probably leave them square in a kettle. maybe add graduation marks in .25 gallon or .5 gallon increments for measuring volume?

I might suggest moving the topmost stitch to the bottom position, this will get you a better cutout along the bottom to help break up doughballs on the bottom of the mash tun.

That's something that I hadn't considered. Would I be better off switching them or trying to find another one that is larger to put there so that I don't lose size on the top?

what'd you use for that cut? i'd round the corners if working in a keggle but probably leave them square in a kettle. maybe add graduation marks in .25 gallon or .5 gallon increments for measuring volume?

I tried a variety of tools, but what ended up working the best was my dremel with a wood cutting bit. The hard part was learning how to contol it in that small of a space. I also used a variety of rasps to get some of the shapes and cuts. The one aspect that I am still working on is how to sand the interior of the cuts. The rasps aren't truly ideal and sandpaper is a bit tough to get into some of the areas. I cut the rest of the mock paddle yesterday just for kicks, and I rounded the corners. I bought a cooler and a keg that I could use for the MLT, but I haven't decided which one I want to use.

I thought about graduation marks, but if I change kettles they'll be off. My plan is to get sight glasses, which should solve that problem.

PA1800011.jpg

Give that thing a whirl and see how you like it, you can always make another one!

I bought a maple baking paddle at my local resteraunt depot for 9 dollars and drilled holes in it. Perhaps someday I will make one from scratch.

I have a pic of it, but it keeps defaulting sideways, I rotate it and it shows up normal in the gallery, but keeps showing here sideways, I give up.

I have a dremmel and actually never used it on wood, just to cut computer cases. Is it hard to carve with? I have the snake like extension with it. Nice design, I never would have guessed lilo and stitch. I might do the 3 stooges.

The hard part is getting it under control, as the bit wants to run away from you. The best advice I can give you is to test it out first. Home Depot has cheap 1"x4" at either 6' or 8' that you can chop and experiment with. I use the cutting guide and wood saw bit. My first try was to buy the router kit, but the bit isn't big enough and created a lot of smoke. Definitely use work gloves and wear goggles. I'd also advise ear protection. The only down side is trying to sand out the interior spaces. I have a few large rasps and am trying some smaller ones as well as sandpaper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back