American style Hefe with Citra hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

40Below

Reaction score
Anybody used citra hops with an american style Hefeweizen? I'm thinking of using them as late hop addition. I'm going for a lower IBU easy drinking wheat but want some nice citrus flavors or aromas. Any advice?

Late addition Cascade hops can give an almost grapefruit-like flavor/aroma and Sorachi Ace hops can give you a lemon flavor/aroma. There are others, but these are the two I am most familiar with.

Citra would be a good add. It gives a more sweet/tropical fruit flavor (mango/papaya) as compared to Cascade/Centennial.

The Ithaca 13th Anniversary is a massive American wheat with Citra and SOrachi and it was one of the best beers I have ever had.

no hefes, but I just did a witbier with a citra late addition...only 1oz though...didnt want it to overpower the spices and yeast

How did the witbier turn out, did you get any of the tropical flavors? How did it stand up to the Belgian yeast, did it still come through.

How much did you use and and how long did you boil?

From what I've read is the citra can be astringent if you try to use it for a bittering hop and boil it too long. I got some Amarillo that I thought I would bitter with and maybe do the citra at 5 min or even at flame out. The ultimate goal is to have a nice clean wheat with some interesting character. Nothing too over powering something I can perfect and then maybe "fluff" down the road with some fruit for SWMBO

I used citra and amarillo in a Saison and it had a nice mango aroma and flavour up front.

I used citra as first wort hops and some late additions and dry hopping, with the amarillo coming in a bit heavier at the end than the citra (about 2:1 for late additions). I say go for it, as long as you're using a neutral yeast (which I assume you are with this being an American wheat).

Back