StarSan spilled in shipping... still usable??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepystevenson

Reaction score
Hello all. I just had a 32 oz. starsan shipped to me that I purchased from another home brewer. It was packaged in 2 plastic zip lock bags and then shipped in a bubble mailer envelope. One of the caps was completely broken in transit and there are about 11 oz of starsan left in the bottle. There is probably another 8-10 oz in the ziplock bag and the rest had soaked the shipping bag and was dripping EVERYWHERE. I am sure the USPS loved handling this one!

Anyway, my question is.... can I pour the starsan that had spilled into the ziplock bag back into the original container and use it, or should I just toss it? I don't want to risk contaminating a batch because I re-used this starsan... so I thought I would get some opinions.

Thanks!!

You can pour the concentrate from teh bag back into the container.

You should also email a complaint to Five Star regarding their lids. Five Star has become somewhat notoriously cheap when it comes to their lids and this situation is occuring far too frequently.

You can pour the concentrate from teh bag back into the container.

agreed...your fine. Its mainly phosphoric acid and another acid. your good- nothings gonna grow. If it started to dissolve the bag though i would think twice...

Ok, I poured it back in. Up to about 20-21 ounces. Well... thats better than 11!

This is the 2nd starsan lid that has broken on me. I just though it was a fluke the first time....

So, now the question is - what to use for a lid? Does this stuff have to be "sealed" air tight? I have just been using a piece of aluminum foil on my other bottle that broke...

I will definitely e-mail Five Star about the less than adequate lids....

I forget what from, but there are other commonly available lids that fit.

Maybe a juice bottle lid or soda bottle. Sorry, I just can't remember from what bottle people have said they replaced the lid with.

Thanks! Probably be the first 2 liter of soda I have bought in years!

I actually did find a cap that would fit that I had laying around. But I need one for my other bottle of Starsan which had already had a broken lid.

Latest posts

Back