Floaties

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sendkyleanemail

Reaction score
So I took some questionable advice on dry hopping my recent IPA. I just threw the pellets into the secondary and let them sit for 10 days before kegging. The added aroma is fabulous, but now each pint I pour contains a small serving of hop flakes. And you know what? I kinda like it that way! Next time I am going to use a hop bag though he he.

I always dry hop naked. After I keg, the first pint or two has a bit of hop floaties but after that it is crystal clear.

I dry hopped with pellets and then just siphoned the beer to the bottling bucket through a hop bag. No floaties.

I have poured 8-10 pints and there is quite a few floaties still. I used 1oz Amarillo pellets in 5 gallons of the Palilalia IPA from NCJHB.

in retrospect I shoulda strained as I racked to the keg OR bagged them before adding to Carboy. no biggie but lesson learned

I never bag my hops! I kegged a batch a couple of days ago with leaf hops AND pellet hops. I rack pretty proficiently, though. I start the siphon in the of the fermenter- under the floating hops and above the trub. As the level drops, I lower the racking cane and eventually the floating hops meet the trub in the bottom and I get all of the beer. It takes some practice, I guess, but it works and works well.

good racking would have helped. In this case I was manning the hose and keg and brew buddie was manning auto siphon and Carboy. unfortunately brew buddy is also drinking buddy and had gotten an early start that day haha

I dry hopped with pellets and then just siphoned the beer to the bottling bucket through a hop bag. No floaties.

Same. Straining while racking is the way to go. Something just don't seem right about keeping them hops constrained to a bag for ten days.

I was under the impression that aeration at that point was a bad thing. Seems like straining would aerate the beer, no? Sure sounds like an easy and effective way to remove the hops after letting them roam freely in the Carboy, though.

Sanitize a hopbag and siphon through it. I put the bag on the autosiphon but I think others prefer putting it on the tube end. Just sanitize it and a rubber band to make it stay while you're sanitizing everything else and you're good to go, no hops, no aeration.

I have not had occasion to try it yet, but I got a tip a while back to place a stainless or copper scrubby pad over the end of the siphon tube to keep the stuff out.

Back