Cream ale was a bust

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrduna01

Reaction score
I think the WLP080 yeast threw this one for a loop. Had it set on the yeast longer it may have cleared up but it still has a slight sulphur like smell, taste. It's drinkable but not that great. I did a 10 day primary (hit final gravity in about five days). Then I kegged and chilled er' down for a week and it's still a bit off. I was trying the method of pressurizing and relieving the pressure every day or so to rid the beer of the sulphur gasses but this didnt seem to work. Any suggestions/comments are welcomed.

Oh and side note... Don't ever name a beer after your wife until you know it is a good product. But I guess that depends on the relationship. :)

It is still young give it time. Probably at least another month in the keg. I have been finding my beers taste a bunch better when older then when just weaned from the fermenters

Despite the fact that my cream ales have been "ready" in a couple of weeks (based on hydrometer reading), I've found that every glass improves until the keg is kicked. Definitely give this one more time before calling it a bust.

Surprisingly enough my wife just tried it actually liked it. I have never had a commercial cream ale so maybe it's just the style I'm not fond of. But more time can only make it better I suppose.

The sulfur was probably from the lager yeast component of that strain and should mellow out with time. I do blonde ales all the time in the summer and go from brewday to glass in 3 weeks, with the best taste coming around 3.5-4 weeks in my experience. I use only 1056/wlp001 for all the "lawnmower" beers I make and they turn out fantastic.

I did a cream ale using Wyeast's Kolsch yeast (I forget the number) a few months ago and bottled after 10 days. The beer was done fermenting after four and I became impatient. The beer was horrible and had a very distinct sulfer smell/taste. Even after 7+ weeks in the bottle the flavor is still there but very much mellowed. I rebrewed this beer cold (56 degrees) for the first five days down to 1.015 and then brought it out to my 66 degree basement for finishing. It has been two weeks since I brewed and the sulpher taste is just now starting to subside. I am definately going to do 3+ weeks primary this time before bottling to ensure that the beer is clean tasting as it should be. I guess that first batch was my first n00b lesson where I finally decided that good beers are worth waiting for.

The beer isn't even 3 weeks old and you are blaming the yeast? I think you know the real answer lol...impatient brewer syndrome if you ask me...

Every beer I have tried to rush like this has ended up being 10X better in 2-3 weeks. And I kicked myself for it.

Yea this is the first I'm not satisfied with... Maybe it takes one or two of those to Lear patience. Lol

I think TheMan is correct in this situation, you jumped the gun using a yeast that produces sulfur0. I'm dead serious about using wlp001 or 1056 in any light hybrid category beer. No sulfur production to have to age out, so if you wanted to hit it early, you can.

Patience is for sure to blame... I have heard good things about 1056 but have never used it I don't believe.

Wyeast 1056, WLP 001, Safale US-05...all chico strain, all very clean fermenters, the only yeast I would ever use for a Cream Ale. My Colorado Cream Ale kicks ass for a lawnmower beer that the BMC crowd will drink...1056. Kolsch yeast? In these shoes? I don't think so :D

Edit: I HAVE been drinkin tonight...Kolsch is totally appropriate to the style, but I still like my Chico!!!

Brew up something around 1.045-.047 og with 93ish % two row and 6-7ish% 10 degree crystal, mash around 149, get yourself around 18-20 ibu from a 60 minute addition and a few more from a 12-15 minute addition, and ferment that bad boy with 1056/wlp001 or even s-05 and you'll have a kick azz lawnmower beer you can drink like there's no tomorrow!!:ban::ban:

beesy said:
Brew up something around 1.045-.047 og with 93ish % two row and 6-7ish% 10 degree crystal, mash around 149, get yourself around 18-20 ibu from a 60 minute addition and a few more from a 12-15 minute addition, and ferment that bad boy with 1056/wlp001 or even s-05 and you'll have a kick azz lawnmower beer you can drink like there's no tomorrow!!:ban::ban:

Sounds like a good crisp beer to make in between batches and always have some in stock. What's that run like 20 bucks?

Sounds like a good crisp beer to make in between batches and always have some in stock. What's that run like 20 bucks?

depends on how you buy and if u repitch but it's very cheap to make. Works great to get a nice slurry of 001 or 1056 to collect too! I scored a 41 composite ( a 40 and a 42 - the 42 by a head brewer) on a variation on this at the largest local homebrew comp last year. Its easy peesy lemon squeezy!!:mug:

RM-MN said:
Isn't it amazing what a little time will do to homebrew? Give it a little longer and you might like it even more.

I totally agree that time is the essence of a good brew but in this case it taste pretty much the same, the character of it has just grown on me. :). I still wouldn't rank it anywhere near my best but still a good crisp brew.

Cream Ales are tough because they are pretty unforgiving. Any off flavors really shine through in this one. Maybe a bit of time will help to clean it up

Latest posts

Back