Tips for thick meringue like head. - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Tips for thick meringue like head.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:18 AM   #1
RonPopeil
Recipes 

Mar 2011
Lancaster, PA
Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts

A friend and I would like to make a pale ale in the style of Stone's pale ale. One of the qualities we loved about it was the thick gooey head which crowns the beer all the way down the glass while drinking. Great flavor is one thing but having that visual indicator of quality and really just looking at it brought a little something extra to the experience. I've heard things about heat malt and flaked barley being added but I'm not positive what those directly translate to in terms of a bubble cap for this brew. I've also heard things about hops and yeast playing a role as well though hops will be provided in full for this one.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:59 PM   #2
JRems
Recipes 

Nov 2010
Mahopac, NY
Liked 60 Times on 52 Posts

I have always had good head on my beers. I usually use 1-2oz of torrified wheat. It seems to work well.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:03 PM   #3
edb23
Recipes 

Jul 2010
Pittsburgh
Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts

a half pound of carapils works wonders also
but drink to think the better

Old 03-03-2011, 02:46 PM   #4
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Sep 2008
Lakeland TN
Liked 47 Times on 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRems View Post
I have always had good head on my beers. I usually use 1-2oz of torrified wheat. It seems to work well.
I use flaked wheat in about all my brews, usually about 8oz.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:57 PM   #5
Flywheel
Recipes 

Oct 2010
pig's eye
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

wheat.
Keg4: StarSan
Bottle: Belgian Strong Golden Ale
Secondary: 68F air
Primary1: Cider
Primary2: Nothing
Planned: hmmmmmm

You mean a woman of your culture and money and beauty and money and wealth and money would, would marry that imposter?

Poison for email spiders

Old 03-03-2011, 04:58 PM   #6
dpjosuns
Recipes 

May 2009
Ann Arbor, MI

Yup, i get it with flaked oats.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:04 PM   #7
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2010
Liked 491 Times on 427 Posts

Start experimenting with different amounts of carafoam/carapils... Flaked barley, and oats, will make for a more hazy brew. Nothing wrong with that, just be prepared for it in the glass.

You could, also, opt for a stout tap, or creamer faucet... If you use the stout tap, you'll want either beer gas, or nitrogen behind it (carbonate the brew normally first, then put it onto the beer gas/nitro)...

When I can finally get to kegging (next place I move to) I plan on using creamer faucets as well as setting up a stout tap (eventually)... That way, I'll be able to pour out the brews as I wish. Even with the creamer faucet, you don't have to use the creamer function all the time, just when you want it.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 03-03-2011, 05:41 PM   #8
BoxofRain
Recipes 

Sep 2008
Long Island
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpjosuns View Post
Yup, i get it with flaked oats.
How do you use oats though? Just dump it into the mash?
Kegged: Bourbon Barrel Porter
Primary 1: Cascadian Dark Ale
Primary 2: Stormchaser Pale Ale
On Deck:, ???

FIXED GRIP BREWERY
We'll knock your legs right out from under you...

Old 03-03-2011, 05:55 PM   #9
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2008
Dublin (No, not that Dublin)
Liked 271 Times on 209 Posts

Mr. Popeil, can't you just invent something that does this for you?!?!
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 03-03-2011, 06:11 PM   #10
devilishprune
Recipes 

Mar 2010
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
Mr. Popeil, can't you just invent something that does this for you?!?!
I don't know about that, but I am reasonably sure that he adheres to the "set it and forget it" method of force carbonation.