New 5lb CO2 tank - possibly leaking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zhameng

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I just filled a new 5lb CO2 tank this evening and it is still quite cold 5 hours later. How long does it take them to warm up to room temperature? It has been inside at 72deg for an hour and a half. I am concerned that I have a slow leak. When I put the regulator on, it showed 600PSI. I purged the regulator and closed it to see if it will show a change in a couple of hours.

Thanks for your help. Great forums by the way.

I can't tell you exactly how long it will take the tank to reach ambient temperture after filling, but it could be several hours I would think. Leave it alone overnight and check it again tomorrow. You could also spray some soapy water or Star San around the valve or submerge the tank completely (remove the regulator first, of course) to see if it's leaking. The leak, if there is one, is more likely to be from the regulator than the actual tank itself. You are probably just worrying too much. I'm sure the pressure will increase as the tank warms up some.

I just went thru this with my tank and regulator, I initially had a leak at the keg gas disconnect- but ended up having a slow leak due to a bad o-ring where the regulator connects to the tank. I couldn't find it until I submerged the whole thing (regulator and all). The gauges filled up with water, but drained and dried without difficulty. The best advice I've seen is to isolate by system- start with the tank, then isolate the regulator and tank, then to the manifold etc.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the responses. I want to follow up for future topic searchers. It turns out that my CO2 tank probably doesn't have a leak. It just took longer to warm up than I thought it would and doesn't appear to be losing pressure. I just poured my first home brew in over a decade and it is fantastic! It really tastes like a porter, carbed and everything! What to brew next :)

Back