Looking for Maibock Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stachiestach

Reaction score
I plan to brew my first Maibock at the end of the week. I just kegged a Vienna Lager and have washed my Wyeast 2308 cake and plan to use it for this batch. I've been trying to do as much research as possible, but it seems that recipes and information is a bit vague for this style. Here is what I have thrown together so far. Any comments/thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

6 gallon batch
65% efficiency
OG: 1.070
IBU: 28

10 lbs. German Pilsner
8 lbs. Vienna Malt
3 lbs. Munich Malt

1.5 oz Hallertauer; 60 mins. (18 IBUs)
1.25 oz Hallertauer; 30 mins. (10 IBUs)

Yeast energizer and whirfloc at 15 mins

Steve

Recipe looks pretty good. Here's a link to one I did a month ago that is now lagering. From my last hydro sample I don't think the hops stood out as much as I would've liked them to, but that could be because I use a hop bag when boiling.

Looks good to me. You could use those base grains in just about any proportion and be fine imo, although 100% Munich might be pushing it. I think the one I just kegged was 50:50 Pils:Vienna but I may have put some Munich Type I in there.

I used 45/36 pils/munich in mine with 12% vienna and 6% carahell. I used hallertau in about the same proportions. Like Spanish said you can use those three malts (minus the carahell) and be pretty true to style for a Maibock. You are a little late to the party though, you should have brewed it last month.

Thanks for the advice guys. I don't brew up a whole lot of lagers usually. Since I had a nice clean yeast cake, I figured I would brew up one more. I am going to try and find some Carahell from another vendor around here and add it to the bill.

I plan to brew my first Maibock at the end of the week. I just kegged a Vienna Lager and have washed my Wyeast 2308 cake and plan to use it for this batch. I've been trying to do as much research as possible, but it seems that recipes and information is a bit vague for this style. Here is what I have thrown together so far. Any comments/thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

6 gallon batch
65% efficiency
OG: 1.070
IBU: 28

10 lbs. German Pilsner
8 lbs. Vienna Malt
3 lbs. Munich Malt

1.5 oz Hallertauer; 60 mins. (18 IBUs)
1.25 oz Hallertauer; 30 mins. (10 IBUs)

Yeast energizer and whirfloc at 15 mins

Steve

A Maibock should be pretty light in color. I would delete the Munich malt and sub with additional Pilsner & Vienna. The basic numbers look OK although you could bump up the IBUs a tad if you like, maybe by about 15%. :mug:

A Maibock should be pretty light in color. I would delete the Munich malt and sub with additional Pilsner & Vienna. The basic numbers look OK although you could bump up the IBUs a tad if you like, maybe by about 15%. :mug:

The srm according the bjcp is 6-11. A maibock is supposed to have some munich in it. My recipe, which has more munich than most people would use for a maibock at 36%, only clocks in at 8. 3 lbs of munich isn't going to make it very dark.

Back