Moving to 10g Batches - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Moving to 10g Batches

Old 01-08-2011, 05:29 AM   #1
Kayos

Recipes 

Dec 2006
Santa Clarita, SoCal
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I am moving to 10g batches and using 2 carboys. Do I need to:

1. Buy 2 yeast packs

2. Pour half my starter in each carboy

3. Make my starter and then increase it (make it bigger - I forget what that's called)

Thanks!
Primary #2: ESB
Big Blind: Pucker Bitter
Small Blind:
Tasty Remembrances: White 'N Nerdy, Dynamite Red (Hop bursted), APA, The Bonaduce (irish Red), runners stout, ridgeback brown,

from my big ass computer sitting on my floor

Old 01-08-2011, 06:03 AM   #2
bowiefan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Nov 2009
Bowie Maryland
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayos View Post

1. Buy 2 yeast packs

3. Make my starter and then increase it (make it bigger - I forget what that's called)

Thanks!
Well since you're making 10 gallons, why not pitch 2 different yeasts to make 2 different beers? Once you split the batch, you can lager half, dry hop the other half and pitch an ale yeast and turn out a lager and an APA from the same batch. Or boil an hour, drain off 5 gallons, add some steeping grains to the rest and re boil to turn out an ESB and a porter? Do #3 then #2 and experiment with fermentation temps or dry hopping?

Old 01-08-2011, 06:22 AM   #3
SamuraiSquirrel

Recipes 

Jun 2009
Aurora, IL
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:

1. Buy 2 yeast packs

Thanks!
I would go with number 1 personally ........

Either 2 or 3 would work. You may be underpitching slightly depending on the size of your starter and gravity of your beer.

You could pitch 1 dry yeast in 5 gallons and then your liquid yeast w/ starter in the other 5 gallons...... This would be cool and you would be able to get an idea which yeast you like or if you can even tell the difference between the two different yeasts.

Currently Fermenting: Charlie Sheen (barleywine)

Kegged: Tiger Blood IPA, Irish Red, Strict Observance Tripel

Bottled: Dry Stout, Pliny the ..... Squirrel?, Cream Ale

Old 01-08-2011, 06:44 AM   #4
FishH2o
Recipes 

Dec 2010
Oldsmar, FL
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:

1. Buy 2 yeast packs

Thanks!
I would split the batch too. However, i would compare different yeast strains to and start a yeast collection of the ones i really like. either way your in a good spot with having 10 gallons. I would only have to brew every other weekend.