Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Nut Brown Ale
Old 12-24-2010, 05:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 113 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Nut Brown Ale

Why are Nut Brown Ales labeled with the "Nut"??? I am formulating a recipe and researching this style and am wondering where the "Nut" comes there a difference between a brown and a nut brown?

Old 12-24-2010, 11:15 AM   #2
Captain Damage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 81 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 5

They have a bit of a nutty-grainy flavor. Biscuit/Victory malt and a little chocolate malt help bring this out. Some of my favorite recipes also include Special B, and some include brown sugar or molasses.

Nut browns usually have low-to-moderate hopping with English hops, where American browns are hopped more aggressively with American varieties.

That said, there is no BJCP definition of the style, and they're considered either Southern- or Northern English brown ales. Northern browns are a little hoppier than southern. So if your beer tastes a little nutty/grainy to you, you can call it a nut brown if you want.

One of my favorite recipes is from Norther Brewer. Basically, it's 6lbs LME; 4oz each of chocolate, Special B, Bisciut and Special Roast; 1oz fuggle. This makes a beer almost identical to one of my all time faves, Wachusett Nut Brown Ale.
Stop using so much caramel malt. Your beer will thank you.
(yes, Carapils is a caramel is Special B)

pujwI HIq Mild Ale
KPA Khitomer Pale Ale