Fermentation Q

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lusch

Reaction score
Hi folks, was wondering if my fermentation method needs a changin, using a regular bucket with I hope airtight lid and an airlock, last 2 batches wern't very bubbly, I usually use 1-2-3 rule but latley beers have been a bit yeasty/green..I have also moved from the coopers style kits to the more professional wort, all 23 liters in one big box, haha, lazy I know..Anyway this is the first one i've done, (Oatmeal stout) Brew store owner told me to just sprinkle on yeast and forget it..Don't hydrate, you may kill the little buggers. I did just that but found myself PEEKING like every 10 hours still to no bubbling..After 2 days i raised the lid a peek and did find the wort to be very heady and rising,krappy around the top portion.. fermentaTING I GUESS EH? Anyway if you know where i'm comming from let me know..I wish I had the patience to just run the primary, and walk away from the stuff for like 10 days, but OH NO I have to peek, let o2 in and all that stuff...Hahahaha..
thanks
Andy

You know the answer.

No peeking.

Get a glass or plastic (better bottle) carboy if you want to be a wort voyeur.
You still have to keep it cover though.

You need to get a glass carboy or a Better Bottle, then you can view the fermentation at any time while leaving it sealed up. I always rehydrate dry yeast, just watch the temp so it isnt over say 95F and you will be fine, you wont kill them.

Brewpilot

Thats an awesome idea olllllo, where did you get kegs and co2, is it cheap..I have 2 buddies working for pepsi here in town perhaps they could help with supplies..

Brew pilot, your right, next time in the glass everything goes, much smarter..btw, you commercial flyer, ??
thx guys

Yes, I am... today was a great day in aviation, US Airways dropped thier bid to buy Delta! YES! There is a God!

Brewpilot

Good to here, yes what a wacky bus...better than working for a living..Oh well back to my 12 days off..hehe:rockin:
Cheers bud

No Kidding? I spent the night in Toronto last night, nice new terminal, though they had our planes on the wrong gates this morning... dyslexia?!

Hahaha, i live in Prince Edward Island. little island east coast..YYZ sucks man, commute there...center of the world in Canada for Aviation now though.., you guys are hooked up with Chautauqua right..

Yah, I try to avoid all Canadain overnights, too cold for me. Yes we are associsated with Chautauqua, Republic and Shuttle America....

Delta has a great product, I try to fly nothing but Delta trips... if at all possible. Yall have a great product and the best people. I used to fly Airways connections and they are deplorable....

there just isn't enough long overnights anymore to drink beers boys/girls, just keep makin it at home,, now to figure out how to can the stuff to take with you so the bag smashers don't ruin it.

Thanks for the good words, I just hope that we come out of this OK. I have been with them for over 28 yrs and would like to see us back on top. I would have never dreamed that the aviation world would have fared so bad, but I guess that shows how short sighted some our top management types were.

Uh... Hi. My wife works for the Evil Empire.

This thread is already jacked and the OP is involved so here goes my 2 cents.

US Airways was bad and parts of it still are, but AWA wasn't and Doug Parker really isn't a bad guy. Under his direction some really positive things happened here and they will filter back to Philly and Virginia etc. I have to tell you that his values and those of the AWA management are more in line with what you are all proud of at Delta. I'm sure that I've PO'd some of the old guard at USAirways but RDWHAHB!

I really didn't relish moving to ATL. I'm happier here so on a personal note I'm fine with what went down.

This non-merger only means that a different merger is in the offing for all of the parties involved.

I really wish we could all down a few pints together now. :mug:

Hey there I really like your frige..nice job...Are those kegs already pressurized from where you got them or do you have co2 on the go as well..Whats the op cost of it as well, after the equipment is bought..thanks again

Lusch said:
Thats an awesome idea olllllo, where did you get kegs and co2, is it cheap..I have 2 buddies working for pepsi here in town perhaps they could help with supplies..

You should definately run down the pepsi lead.

Lately I've had good luck on Craigslist.
Shipping is usually what ruins a deal, so I'm not sure what that means to you in Canada.

Cornies: Anywhere from 15 - 30 US plus shipping.

For the rest check Micromatic.com. That will give you a baseline of what you need.

Lusch said:
Hey there I really like your frige..nice job...Are those kegs already pressurized from where you got them or do you have co2 on the go as well..Whats the op cost of it as well, after the equipment is bought..thanks again

You'll need CO2 in a tank of 5, 10, 20 lbs and a regulator.
Used CO2 tanks are the way to go b/c you'll end up swapping them out (think propane tanks). Refilling a shine new tank is often a PITA.

CO2 refill costs vary widely. Depends on if you buy or lease the tank.
John Beer has a thread on that somewhere.

We have a liquor store chain here called BEVMO. They have an all in one deal for converting your fridge for commercial half barrels and it costs $260 US. I think that's overpriced and they give you a cheap faucet.

Search my threads. I just recently landed a pretty sweet deal on Craigslist that gave me enough for a starter tap set up for $100.

Hope that gives you something to start with.

yup i'll do that as well I have used craigs list and kijjiji with luck
thanks
A

Brewpilot said:
Yah, I try to avoid all Canadain overnights, too cold for me. Yes we are associsated with Chautauqua, Republic and Shuttle America....

The east coast is MUCH warmer, lol.

Lusch, welcome to this group and if I haven't mentioned it to you before
this group http://barleyment.wort.ca/biz/?biz=48 of which I belong can be
most valuable to someone like yourself. We have many members across Canada and communicate through an E-Mail list which is very active. Lots
of local knowledge.
I'd get those kegs if I could. I got 5 locally and will get more as my need increases. These fine folks also carry kegging gear http://www.betterbrew.com/ and are great to deal with, along with http://www.paddockwood.com/index.php .

Cheers and welcome.

thanks abunch, the 1st shop is like super close in Halifax Nova Scotia, I can easily get my stuff there

Thx again

Latest posts

Back