how much yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I tend to make small batches, about a gallon or two, and I notice the yeast packet says up to 5 gallons, so whats the best way to figure out how much yeast I actually need?

Extra yeast can crowd the ferment. But basically the worst that happens is there will be extra lees and sediment from the surplus yeast. I think it would be hard to really add too much yeast, since once fermentation begins the yeast reproduce and increase in number anyways. Extra yeast just provides a larger starting amount. If you want a slow ferment, extra yeast could foul that up I suppose.

Those packets are only about what? 5 grams? It's fine to use a whole package, just like the instructions say, for 1-6 gallons.

Winemaking is pretty forgiving, and I always use one package of yeast for a batch (as long as it's 6 gallons or under).

Depends on your starting gravity and volume. Its tough to over pitch if you are not using a starter and just pitching with a packet or vial.
If you want to calculate it use this: http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

That calculator is awesome for beer, but ignore it for wine! It'll tell you for a 1.100 OG wine you'll need 10 packages of yeast!!! but of course it's not true.

Winemaking and beermaking really don't "translate" when it comes to yeast pitching. Totally different ballgame, in that respect.

Back