opinions on this (porter recipe)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdutton24

Reaction score
http://hopville.com/recipe/413911/home-brew/deathwalker-porter

my questions are
1) ive never used maris otter and i was wondering if its a good selection or just use american 2 row

2) the hops... good selection and enough ibus? im not a hop head by any means

3) i like wyeast but whats the ifference between the 1020 and london 3 yeast??

and critique away on the grains but the them is kinda using all across the pond ingredients

1. With that selection of dark malt, I can't see any advantage to use MO over
American 2 row.

2. You're not likely to notice the hops in that brew as much as the flavour imparted by the darker grains.

3. not sure.

I wanted a good body. That's why I put the maris in there bit didn't know if there was a significant difference. I thought about the hops being on the low end but like I saaid I'm not a hop head at all.

I generally use MO for 50% of the base bill, at least for my paler stuff.
Even though you are not into hops I would push the BU:GU closer to 60%.

i think the london ale 1028 will probably be the better choice. i may add a 2 more oz of black patent. not sure though.

I like your recipe as-is. Maybe the extra 2 oz of black patent malt, as suggested. :mug:

I just did a robust porter using the White Labs London Ale yeast, which should be the same as the Wyeast. Excellent choice! Came out wonderfully!

Enjoy!
--Lexuschris

Yeah I can't wait to brew this one. I think ill add just a little time on the hops and roll with it. Maybe it will be tastt

just made a few changes, added some peated malt and swapped around the crytal malt. think this will be the one i brew first. just a couple more question

mash temp 153 sound good?
should i bump up the chocolate to one pound and add a couple oz of crapils for more head and body? i know i got come crystal in there just want it to hold a good head.
and the brew is different on brewmasters warehouse and hopville. which one is more accurate?

Sorry to keep resurrecting this thread but I need a good yeast strain for this. I would like to try wyeast any good suggestions? I would kind of prefer a high flocculation yeast with good malty character and help with hops since on on the low end on ibu. I was thinking of 1338, 1028, or even 1728 since I like malty flavors. Thanks guys!!!

Those are all good choices. Personally, I've used the 1028 and 1728, and would choose them in that order for a porter.

A 153-154-F mash temp sounded good too... Let us know how it all turns out!
:mug:
--LexusChris

I've brewed a delicious Robust Porter with wy1028. Been on tap 3 weeks now and only getting better!

got it brewed last weekend, came in a lil high on og, but i boiled a lil bit too long, but i just pulled a very small sample and it taste damn good. i was actually impressed. i realistically thought that it would be ok at best but i cant help but have high hopes now. will keep informed.

Back