I'm doin something wrong!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Autoworx

Reaction score
Ok, all... I did a search without any luck, so maybe someone can help me. I just started all grain after being an extract brewer for 10 years. When I say I just started, I mean that this is my first AG. Here is my problem... It's an Irish Red nothing crazy, super clear looking, color is perfect, no fermentation issues but it has got the most bitter after taste, not a hop type bitter before someone suggests that... I just kegged it for the sake of finishing what I started... What did I do? This will be the first batch I will have ever dumped...

Kevin:confused:

Well im not at home with recipe in hand. this is what I remember!

Pre heated Mash Tun
12ish total pounds of grain
Doughed in 152 for 1 hr
Rinsed twice at 168
6.75 Gal of wort
Smak pac... Type? pitched at 70
All new 48 Qt cooler ice box home made manifold made out of CPVC for MT
Hops?
It was like a month ago sorry!

Well im not at home with recipe in hand. this is what I remember!

Pre heated Mash Tun
12ish total pounds of grain
Doughed in 152 for 1 hr
Rinsed twice at 168
6.75 Gal of wort
Smak pac... Type? pitched at 70
All new 48 Qt cooler ice box home made manifold made out of CPVC for MT
Hops?
It was like a month ago sorry!

Hmm....how about fermentation temps? You say you pitched at 70 degrees. Depending on the ambient temp, it could of gotten 8-10 degrees hotter, causing the yeast to make some funky esters. You AG process seems pretty sound.

It's like someone put coffee grounds on the back of your tongue... Fermentation temps were 67 to 71 NO WAY did it get to hot, I keep my house pretty chilly..

Hrm. You may have a pH problem. Although I've never heard of such a huge amount of astringency coming from bad tap water. If it is the pH then the problem wouldn't have showed up with your extract brewing because you weren't mashing any grain. This is about as far as I can go with this. Maybe someone else can chime in about how to figure out exactly whats happening and how to fix it.

I get terrible astringency doing AG using my tap water. I have to filter it very carefully for the minerals, they use campden for the chloramine. The only place I every lived with harder water than Omaha is when I was in Fairbanks. :D

Ok water filter that easy? Could Hot side aeration be the culprit?

I really really really doubt HSA would cause it. Your water is much more likely to cause problems. Try using 1/2 Reverse Osmosis water and 1/2 of your tap water and see if it gets better on your next batch.

Or Nurmey is right with the minerals. I don't know why I had to jump on pH without considering anything else. Yeah, a good water filter might work, or you could go grab a couple gallon jugs from your local super-store (that is totally not called Walmart, especially since they have the cheapest drinking water ever).

As far as HSA, I believe for the homebrewer it's a myth. There have been several unscientific trials done to determine the effects of HSA and none could be found. Heck, there was even a video going around here where Dogfish Head (I believe) was spewing hot wort out of a small pipe into one of their big fermenters, as standard operating procedure.

ok That evil store that begins with a W sells water filters that can be used with your standard hose connections. Would one of those be sufficient?

ok That evil store that begins with a W sells water filters that can be used with your standard hose connections. Would one of those be sufficient?

I would think so. If it really is a mineral problem then it should definitely solve your problems. However, I'd try Newbeerguy's suggestion first. RO water is not the best for brewing because it is so clean (opposite of what you're probably experiencing). 1/2 and 1/2 would help you determine if it truly is your water source that is the problem. If so, then you could move on to using one of those filters.

You have to run the water through those filters from the W store very slowly. If you go full throttle, it won't work as well. WillPall is right that you can mix 50/50 with distilled. I use the filter but mixing will work also.

OK, goin to the LHBS today to get a new recipe. Ill work on the water thing, thanx guys.

Kevin

Back