Co2 leak... TEARS!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hmmmbeer

Reaction score
Well, I filled my Co2 tank (7lbs) last weekend, carbed 5 gal of soda and 5 gal of beer, poured a few glasses of each. 2 nights ago the high presure gauge (Co2 tank in fridge) read just under 500psi. I went to pour a beer while working on a buddies car and NOTHING but the pressure inside the keg. High pressure gauge read a big fat zero!

Here is my question, I found it odd that the gas lines go on with no friction and the clamps (screw kind) pop if you try to clamp it down much... What can I do to fix this other than using the "Oetiker Ear Crimps" (going to use those next). Shouldn't the barb and gas line have friction/resistance? I'm guessing this is my leak spot (with no Co2 to test my possible leak areas, this is just a guess).

Any thoughts for this kegging noob???

Thank you:confused:

Well, I filled my Co2 tank (7lbs) last weekend, carbed 5 gal of soda and 5 gal of beer, poured a few glasses of each. 2 nights ago the high presure gauge (Co2 tank in fridge) read just under 500psi. I went to pour a beer while working on a buddies car and NOTHING but the pressure inside the keg. High pressure gauge read a big fat zero!

Here is my question, I found it odd that the gas lines go on with no friction and the clamps (screw kind) pop if you try to clamp it down much... What can I do to fix this other than using the "Oetiker Ear Crimps" (going to use those next). Shouldn't the barb and gas line have friction/resistance? I'm guessing this is my leak spot (with no Co2 to test my possible leak areas, this is just a guess).

Any thoughts for this kegging noob???

Thank you:confused:

Sounds like maybe you have 5/16" gas line and 1/4" fittings. The hose should be fairly tight on fittings.

It also sounds like you may have stripped your clamps.

I think somekind of clamp on the gas lines are required. I use Oetiker clamps.

When you get your tank refilled, make sure you check every connection for leaks. You can use soapy water which will bubble if there is a leak. Also, make sure you have a washer between the regulator and tank.

Good luck.

Ed

When I put my system together, it was pretty difficult to get the gas line over the barbs all of the way (lots of friction). Not sure that I have seen the screw clamps pop like you have stated, but it seems like if you are putting that much pressure (or just before they pop), that you should be ok with most barb/hose matings. Sorry not much help. One thing I do though if I add a new component is just bring everything up to pressure and shut off the CO2 supply valve. It will help you to see if you are losing pressure without losing much of your CO2 supply. As you probably know, use a soapy solution on all connections to check.

I am using 1/4" barbs and 5/16" hose, is there another size of barbs i can use? I'm going shopping to find out what there is. Its just weird that I had a leak... just started randomly litterly over night.

You gotta use 1/4" hose or smaller. 5/16th is too big. Regular hose clamps work fine just make sure you get the small ones made for 1/4" hose.

The high pressure guage is misleading it's really either an on/off indication it will say 500psi right till the tank goes empty pretty much.

Make sure you have the plastic washer between the tank and regulator too. I lost a whole 7lb tank due to that.

I am using 1/4" barbs and 5/16" hose, is there another size of barbs i can use? I'm going shopping to find out what there is. Its just weird that I had a leak... just started randomly litterly over night.

You should match the hose & the barb. You can get 5/16" barbed swivel nuts, you can also get 1/4" hose. You have to decide which is more convenient for you. Also, it is difficult but possible to put 1/4" hose on a 5/16" barb (you have to heat the hose first).

It was probably leaking for a while, just went completely empty overnight.

I went to town (all the items I needed were 60 miles away due to being in BFE) and got my tank filled, got the teflon washer, 5/16" barbs for my splitters, "ear clamps", the clamp tool. I have everything I think I need other than replacing the seals on my kegs. I'm pretty sure the kegs weren't the case other wise I would have gotten the seal kit to fix those too. Crossing fingers. Thank you all for your input. I'll give an update as soon as I have one.

Well, I'm not sure if the washer was a factor as well BUT I did find the leak... LEAKS! First leak was in one spot I didn't even consider, the actual Co2 tank head it's self! Leak 1; second leak was in the regulator post that goes to my splitter (not enough plumbing tape I guess and not enough wrenching on). After replacing my posts from 1/4" inch barbs to 5/16" barbs, replacing clamps with the "ear clamps", using lots more plumbing tubing and much more wrenching I have no leaks. It might just be me but now after I'm done carbing my kegs and not pulling the faucets for some drinks I'm going to just turn the tank off to be safe/minimize the time left alone to leak.

Back