Differences in krausen appearance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StJamesG8

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I just did a 10 gallon batch of a best bitter. I used Wyeast thames valley I to make a starter about 1.5 days before pitching. The ten gallon batch was split into 2 carboys. When I do this, I try alternating between the carboys frequently as I fill them to keep my gravities close. The wort was about 68 when I pitched the yeast, which I alternated pouring between the two carboys. (Not sure how necessary this is, but it makes sense in my head:D) Anyway, next morning, everything was bubbling away, foaming out the blowoff. My question is, as the krausen subsided, the foam left around the shoulder of one carboy was very milky looking with some much larger bubbles. The other had what I would consider normal smaller tighter foam/bubbles. Am I worrying about nothing? Or does this seem like it might be symptomatic of a some kind of infection or problem?

It is symptomatic of an extremely infectious condition most often regarded as noobieitus and the only cure is to Relax, don't worry, and wait for the homebrew.

Latest posts

Back