A Question About Head...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voodooman

Reaction score
What causes the foam to break up? I force carbonated the keg and it's been under about 11 psi for two weeks. Great head after the pour starts breaking up about 10 minutes later. It's been doing this since the first glass a week ago. Wouldn't think the glasses are dirty (they're put in the dishwasher). Any ideas?

head1.jpg

There's a great article in the March-April 2010 issue of BYO on this exact subject.

Basically, you need to think of your foam as millions of little ballons. These balloons have beer around them, but all of these balloons are constantly being blown up. The layer of beer around them doesn't grow with the balloon, but instead stretchs around it until it's eventually too thin to contain the balloon. When there's no longer any beer around the balloon, it pops. Once one pops, it sends off a chain reaction to the other balloons.

Kind of an odd way to think of foam, but it's simpler than listing all the equations in that article.

Foam is effected by so many forces, some controlable and some not (gravity for instance), that it's hard to pinpoint your problem, if you even have one.

As the article says... "A beer is often said to have "good head-retention" if the foam generated by the initial pour of beer has a half-life of 60-90 seconds." So it sounds like you're head is perfectly fine.

By the way...dishwashers are the devil for beer glasses. They leave residue on the glasses from the soap. I clean mine with hot water and let them air dry.

+1 !!!!!!!!!!!

By the way...dishwashers are the devil for beer glasses. They leave residue on the glasses from the soap. I clean mine with hot water and let them air dry.

As kegtoe mentioned, you're probably dealing with soap residue. Have a look at your glass when it's full. If there are areas where there are more bubbles clinging to the glass then you've got soap residue.
Do a manual rinse afterwards to get rid of it and make sure not to use too much soap in the dishwasher.

As kegtoe mentioned, you're probably dealing with soap residue. Have a look at your glass when it's full. If there are areas where there are more bubbles clinging to the glass then you've got soap residue.
Do a manual rinse afterwards to get rid of it and make sure not to use too much soap in the dishwasher.

Actually, I said that. Quit giving my props to other people :D

And if you're using Jetdry or another rinsing agent, it can really affect head retention.

I had wash all my beer glasses. Oh wait... I don't have a dishwasher... I hand wash everything.

And if you're using Jetdry or another rinsing agent, it can really affect head retention.

I had wash all my beer glasses. Oh wait... I don't have a dishwasher... I hand wash everything.

head generally stops about a week after your wedding day.. oh, you meant... nevermind..

Haha!! Both those statements made my day.

I'm using the same glasses for four different kegs so I don't think they're the issue as the others are fine. This particular ESB has a great thick head as the others do when it's poured. After a few minutes, it starts to seperate. The head breaks apart into big fluffy chunks and looks odd in the glass. Looks like clouds floating around in the brew. Not real appetizing.

And I've been married for 10 years so I have no idea what you other guys are talking about...

I've been pretty lucky, I get head all the time, on my beers.

Back