An apple a day? How about 2 pints instead!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Overall it has very little to do with beer itself -- the medical literature is pretty robust on the idea that alcohol itself (regardless of the source) is responsible for most of the health benefits of mild to moderate drinking. The key is, unfortunately, that "moderate" does really mean about 1 drink/day for average female and 2 drinks/day for the average male (sorry ladies).

Not to say that some specific beverages may not have other benefits: one time I met an elderly lady who told me about how during World War II she became anemic from donating blood,and the doctor's prescription was to "drink a glass of Guinness every day for a month" and then return for a blood count. She contends that her counts were fine when they rechecked....

I agree, except for the part about drinking Coronas...which I'm not sure why he mentioned considering that he recommends drinking ales. :p

That is what I was wondering, I don't think I could enjoy 2 Caronas even knowing it was good for me.

Overall it has very little to do with beer itself -- the medical literature is pretty robust on the idea that alcohol itself (regardless of the source) is responsible for most of the health benefits of mild to moderate drinking. The key is, unfortunately, that "moderate" does really mean about 1 drink/day for average female and 2 drinks/day for the average male (sorry ladies).

Not to say that some specific beverages may not have other benefits: one time I met an elderly lady who told me about how during World War II she became anemic from donating blood,and the doctor's prescription was to "drink a glass of Guinness every day for a month" and then return for a blood count. She contends that her counts were fine when they rechecked....

I think that with the natural bias of survey respondents to understate their drinking, that it is safe to say that one can exceed the 1-2 drinks/day and still obtain the health benefits.

Obviously, there is a limit to this, as much as I want to believe that more is better and most is best.

Hops have distinct medicinal benefits as well. And malt has some good vitamins and whatnot.

and those wacky old Belgian monks knew what they were doing when they brewed ale as a food supplement. :)

All things in moderation, I believe. A little beer, a little wine, a little chocolate, a little cheese, all of these things can be Really Bad (TM) in huge quantities, but in moderation they're very tasty and not too horrible for you either.

I like reason #4. Bring on the polyphenols!

I don't know about the rehydration thing. Maybe if you're drinking "Lite" beer. I've never felt hydrated after a couple brews, but i rarely drink the lite stuff.

I think my health has gotten better since I've been brewing. On a typical night, I'll have 3-4 homebrews. I weigh about 160-165#, am 5'8", and despite my neck, shoulder and lower back pain (from previous injuries), I feel great.

Then again, I'm on my 4th homebrew for tonight... :drunk:

Latest posts

Back