Who cares if head retention sucks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanHolton

Reaction score
Part for discussion, part for my own education, what's the big deal with head retention? If you make a delicious beer that doesn't retain it's head, have you done something wrong? I understand that one of the hallmarks of a well made beer is that it retains a nice layer of foam down to the bottom of the glass, but why is that, exactly? Some of my beers retain their head very well, while others fade after minutes of the pour. My glasses are clean and well rinsed, and I do both kegging and bottling, but sometimes it stays and sometimes it goes. This is not meant to be a troubleshooting thread, more like a discussion of why head retention is a sought-after quality in beer. Are there styles in which it's expected to not retain?

I've noticed most every Sam Adams I've had has lost it's head rather quickly. Anyone else notice this?

Head on a beer is aesthetically pleasing to the eye. So if beer A has a head that hangs around for the entire pint, it gives a better all around impression than beer B which has a head that dissipates within a minute after the pour. I think for the most part it is all about the overall impression the head gives to the experience of your pint.

Just my $.02

I tend to agree with you. 2 things I don't really care about when I am drinking a delicious brew. Head retention, and to be honest with you I don't really care what it looks like. (so long as it looks like beer). If it tastes good it tastes good. I suppose it's one of those 2 each his own things. my .02.

The head is caused by various proteins from the grains. Some are very good at this, like carapils. If you want great head retention then use a quarter pound in your brew if you've made a recipe that doesn't seem to have any retention. Otherwise, I think mainly the head retention helps with aroma more than taste.

I think it's more that poor head retention or lacing frequently indicates some other problem. If I have a beer that has poor retention/lacing I start hunting for those other faults more than I might otherwise.

Just something to point out: head retention is affected as much by the beer as the glass it's being poured in to. Get those glasses beer-clean people!

Maybe it's all in my head, but I think a good head presents the aromas better.

I'd much rather have head than clarity.

I'm always disappointed when my beer's head is lacking. As was stated, I unconsciously go looking for other faults when the head fizzes away immediately.

I think of head as the ultimate sign that I've created a great beer. When I'm first working on a recipe, flavor definitely takes priority. Who cares if the head is a half-finger or a whole-finger if the beer tastes like underwear? But once you have a wonderfully tasty brew you want to keep working on it, and at that point the aesthetics of it really become important. Do you like chill haze? Do you enjoy IPAs that are darker than most porters?

Like a10t2 said, without a good head a beer seems to be imperfect. However, that imperfection usually isn't identified as "bad head", the drinker looks for other reasons why the brew is bad. The first thing you notice about a beer after it has been poured is its appearance. Is my hefe full of yeast? Is my stout nice and thick? Does my IPA have a good head?

Okay, I'm off my soap box. Brew and drink your beer as you please. Just don't hand me one that's "perfect" if it doesn't have the proper head. :mug:

My better beers have had better head retention. Coincidence? maybe but probably not.

I think it adds to the aroma and the experience of drinking a beer. It could also be an indication of a problem or just a poor recipe or low carbonation.

I thought we were suppose to be beer snobs? These things count, we're not making budweiser here we want some damn head on the beer!

It's like just about everything else in brewing. To each his own. Unless you are going to enter competitions, brew what you want how you want. It's your beer. If you like, that's all that matters.

On the flip side, if you don't like your beer, you shouldn't feel obligated to choke it down. I just can't side with the "never dump a beer" crowd. I agree, you should allow the beer it's due time to finish, but why wait a year or more for a ho-hum amber ale to "come around." IMO it's not worth it, since you have the ability to immediately start creating a better beer. Again, it's your beer. Do what you want with it.

I would be devastated if my beer was headless! After 5 years of marriage my beer is the only blonde that gives me head!

I think it's more that poor head retention or lacing frequently indicates some other problem. If I have a beer that has poor retention/lacing I start hunting for those other faults more than I might otherwise.

+1 to this

Dirty glasses dont help either
Might be clean but is it rinsed well?

I will agree with OP that if the beer tastes good, head retention isnt important to me.

I think head retention is important for the total package, but if it doesnt have it, thats fine. Its like a hot chick with pointy elbows. It would be cool if she didnt have pointy elbows, but im not gonna complain.

I am one that could not care less about head retention or appearance and focus on the aroma body and flavor.

I always brew wheat beer and maybe it was Dr Bamforth that said using too much wheat can actually decrease haze and head. I just tried brewing with half wheat and half munich just out of curiosity. On the other hand all the wheat extracts are half barley anyway so I dunno.

Back