Weissbier Simple Hefeweizen - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > Weissbier Simple Hefeweizen

Old 07-14-2010, 06:02 PM   #1
HOOTER
Recipes 

Mar 2008
Spokane, WA
Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

Recipe Type: Extract   
Yeast: Danstar Munich   
Yeast Starter: Rehydrate   
Batch Size (Gallons): 5 gal   
Original Gravity: 1.045   
Final Gravity: 1.011   
IBU: 14   
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60   
Color: 4   
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 days @ 68f   
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): N/A   
Tasting Notes: A quick and easy Hefeweizen. Serve with a lemon wedge on a hot summer day.   

5 lbs. Briess Bavarian wheat DME

8 oz. Carahell

1 oz. Tettnanger (4%)

Danstar Munich

Steep grains for 20 min. @ 155f. Bring to boil and add 2 lbs. extract and Tettnanger hops. Add 3 lbs. extract with 10 minutes remaining in the boil. Ferment for 10 days, keg at about 4 volumes (or bottle) and enjoy. (Full boil recommended). Nothing fancy here, just a very easy and quick Hefe that manages to disappear rapidly. It's almost too simple to post but My friends and I dig this beer so much I figured it might be worth sharing. Fermenting in the mid 60's makes for a very clean American style Hefe but my last batch fermented around 70 and is much closer to a true Bavarian style. This yeast has always fermented very vigorously for me so use a blowoff tube. Enjoy

On tap: Hefeweizen, Centennial Blonde
Up next: Quality Beverages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Shorts Would Make Boners Obvious

People Like This 
Old 07-16-2010, 02:12 AM   #2
Grizzlybrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2009
Douglasville, GA
Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Looks Tasty!

Old 07-23-2010, 12:06 AM   #3
txcoyote2
Recipes 

Jun 2010

Had stuff ordered for a similar hefe, but I think I like this one better. How do you think it will work out with Cascade or Saaz hops and six pounds of blackberries in the secondary?

Old 07-23-2010, 01:21 AM   #4
HOOTER
Recipes 

Mar 2008
Spokane, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by txcoyote2 View Post
Had stuff ordered for a similar hefe, but I think I like this one better. How do you think it will work out with Cascade or Saaz hops and six pounds of blackberries in the secondary?
Not sure about the blackberries. Not really my thing although I'm all for experimenting. Maybe someone with more experience brewing with fruit can comment.

Authenticity aside, bittering hops are not crucial as long as you get around the right AA%. I've brewed this with crystal 10L and Mt. Hood hops and the outcome was pretty much the same. I just prefer to use German ingredients for authenticity sake.

Quote:

Old 07-23-2010, 01:38 AM   #5
txcoyote2
Recipes 

Jun 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOTER View Post
Not sure about the blackberries. Not really my thing although I'm all for experimenting. Maybe someone with more experience brewing with fruit can comment.
A friend of SWMBO gave us 12 pounds of fresh blackberries with which to experiment. I intend to put six pounds in a hefe and six pounds in a pale ale and we'll see what happens. I'll put a little (around a pound) in the primary, then the rest in secondary. If it's good, we'll drink it. If it's not, we'll wait a while. If it's never good, we won't drink it. No biggie.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:50 AM   #6
tenchu_11
Recipes 

Mar 2010
Nome,AK
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Looks great! Going to be my first non Home Brew bought brew.

Reason: I'm an idiot should of red the whole recipe than I wouldn't of asked anyquestions

Old 07-28-2010, 01:44 AM   #7
cd38
Recipes 

Feb 2009
Dallas,Texas
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

would liquid yeast effect this beer much

Old 07-29-2010, 05:16 PM   #8
HOOTER
Recipes 

Mar 2008
Spokane, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd38 View Post
would liquid yeast effect this beer much
You could probably achieve a more authentic Hefeweizen by using liquid yeast for sure. Munich doesn't give the banana and clove character to the same extent as something like WLP300 or Wyeast 3068. Using dry yeast is what helps make this a "simple" Hefeweizen, but using liquid yeast is beneficial when trying to make a true to style Bavarian Hefeweizen.

Quote:

Old 08-03-2010, 01:37 PM   #9
thornton33
Recipes 

May 2010
Laklenad, FL

Any thoughts on steeping 4oz Crystal 20L and 8oz Carapils? I wanted a slightly sweeter brew than the traditional dry palate of certain versions of the Hefeweizen...

Old 08-03-2010, 04:06 PM   #10
HOOTER
Recipes 

Mar 2008
Spokane, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by thornton33 View Post
Any thoughts on steeping 4oz Crystal 20L and 8oz Carapils? I wanted a slightly sweeter brew than the traditional dry palate of certain versions of the Hefeweizen...
You could do that. I'm not sure 4 oz. C20 will contribute much more sweetness than 8 oz. of Carahell, which is essentially a 10L crystal. The carapils will increase head formation and retention but do very little in the way of flavor. If it's increased sweetness your looking for, you could do the Crystal 20 and the Carahell together maybe. You may want to try the recipe as is though because I find the the grainy sweetness in this brew to be just a bit higher than most Hefe's anyway.

Quote: