Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Wyeast 3711 -- I'm officially impressed

Old 05-17-2011, 02:51 PM   #131
heywolfie1015
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

To everyone worrying about the haze, check out this excerpt from the BJCP Guidelines for the style:

Quote:
Appearance: Often a distinctive pale orange but may be golden or amber in color. There is no correlation between strength and color. Long-lasting, dense, rocky white to ivory head resulting in characteristic “Belgian lace” on the glass as it fades. Clarity is poor to good though haze is not unexpected in this type of unfiltered farmhouse beer. Effervescent.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:05 PM   #132
Burgs
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Tried a sample of the saison I brewed with 3711 on Sunday & the gravity was already down to 1.005 (OG: 1.050) after one week!

Normally I'm a long primary guy, so this is weird for me - but I'm almost considering kegging it after a week. Would anyone advise against this?

The sample tastes great, with a nice silky mouthfeel for how dry it is, and I'm not sure I want the gravity to drop below where it's at right now.

So - to keg, or not to keg (and let 'er condition a little bit)...?

Old 05-23-2011, 03:28 PM   #133
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by heywolfie1015 View Post
To everyone worrying about the haze, check out this excerpt from the BJCP Guidelines for the style:
I don't have an issue with hazy beer. The haze we're talking about is left behind on the rinsed bottle. For some reason this yeast when bottle conditioned seems to deposit something on the glass.

Has anyone seen a haze on their carboy glass after primary this this yeast? I do all my fermentations in stainless and better bottles otherwise I'd have an idea already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
Tried a sample of the saison I brewed with 3711 on Sunday & the gravity was already down to 1.005 (OG: 1.050) after one week!

Normally I'm a long primary guy, so this is weird for me - but I'm almost considering kegging it after a week. Would anyone advise against this?

The sample tastes great, with a nice silky mouthfeel for how dry it is, and I'm not sure I want the gravity to drop below where it's at right now.

It won't hurt to let it condition a bit before kegging that way you're positively sure. I know some guys have got FGs lower than where you're at.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:48 PM   #134
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 252 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post

I usually err on the side of longer primary as well, but I also had great results with a 3711 Saison that I bottled after 3 weeks.

Having said that, this strain has a mind of it's own. On my latest Saison, gravity readings were holding at 1.004, but after 5 weeks in primary I was still getting airlock bubbles with slight ambient temp changes (+/- 2 deg F from AC kicking on/off) in my house.

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Old 05-23-2011, 09:19 PM   #135
Judochop
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judochop View Post
Iím using this one for the first time. I originally had intended to drop 0.75 lbs of sugar into the fermenter for a little extra strength and apparent dryness, but all the stories here make me wonder if thatís at all necessary to reach my goal, if not outright detrimental.

Hereís my grain bill:
9 lbs Belgian pale malt
1 lb flaked wheat
1 lb Munich 20L
1 lb Caravienne

Mashed around 151.
OG ~ 1.050.
Quoting myself here for reference.

I'd like to report that despite the full pound each of caravienne and flaked wheat in my grain bill, my FG with this yeast got down to 1.004.

Rock.

On.

(I did end up adding a pound of sugar to the fermenter, btw. If anybody is curious to know such things.)

Old 05-26-2011, 06:22 PM   #136
elproducto
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Ok, so it's been in bottle for 2 weeks, and I drank a couple. Really, really tasty. Pepper notes are there, and some real sour/twang. You could almost call it a sour beer! Seems to be much stronger than the sublte lemon I get from Saison Dupont. Wondering if anyone elase has experienced the sourness?

Keg 1 - German Pils
Keg 2 - Falconer's Flight IPA
Keg 3 - Chocolate Porter

Old 05-26-2011, 06:35 PM   #137
moti_mo
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elproducto View Post
Ok, so it's been in bottle for 2 weeks, and I drank a couple. Really, really tasty. Pepper notes are there, and some real sour/twang. You could almost call it a sour beer! Seems to be much stronger than the sublte lemon I get from Saison Dupont. Wondering if anyone elase has experienced the sourness?
Yup, and its delicious. My 3711 saison, that has been carbonated for 3 weeks now, has some nice pepper in the background and a crisp lemony tang right up front. Definitely comes across as a bit sour (a bit, not overly so for me), which I think is beautiful.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:38 PM   #138
elproducto
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Nice.. I love it! What a nice surprise, and will be awesome when a brew again and add some Jolly Pumpkin dregs.

Keg 1 - German Pils
Keg 2 - Falconer's Flight IPA
Keg 3 - Chocolate Porter

Old 05-26-2011, 09:27 PM   #139
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 530 Times on 424 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Yup, same here. My saison has some SERIOUS citrus flavors going on in it. I love it. Very refreshing for as high of ABV as it has.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:15 AM   #140
petep1980
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am using this yeast in a pretty simple rec:
8# 2 row
1# 20L
1 oz pearle @ 60
1 oz saaz @ 20