Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > Bag In Box dispensing system

Old 05-16-2010, 01:29 PM   #1
CaptainWes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bag In Box dispensing system

Note to mods: please delete my thread in the soda making forum, this is a repost to a more appropriate topic

Hi everyone,
I just recently obtained a home carbonation setup (tank, regulator, ball joint carbonator cap) and I wanted to also make small batches of soda on demand. I'm wondering if it would be possible to rig a BIB to deliver syrup from a picnic tap and gravity feed the syrup (on top of the fridge or something)
Does this sound like something that could work? Are there any pre-built solutions for this kind of thing? Thanks in advance.

Old 05-16-2010, 04:01 PM   #2
BrewNinja1
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

You couldnt gravity feed it because the syrup wouldnt feed fast enough (nor consistantly). With a pump you could probably rig some thing up though pretty easily.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:37 PM   #3
CaptainWes
Recipes 

Thanks for your reply. I read that BIBs have some kind of vacuum valve, which could explain the need for a pump. I'm not trying to feed the syrup into water as I carbonate; rather, I just want to meter out enough syrup for a 2 liter bottle, and then mix with carbonated water. Are there any options to dispense out of a bib without a pump? Or, do they make some kind of mechanical pump (like how the old soda fountains worked) for dispensing out of a bib?

Old 05-17-2010, 12:44 AM   #4
robbiecaesar
Recipes 

The only way I know how to get it to work out of the box is from a syrup pump. I use flojet at my house. You can purchase them pretty cheaply on ebay.

The problem I see with a picnic tap is the pressure. The pumps needs 45-60 PSI to work correctly. At that pressure the picnic tap will leak badly (if not explode)

You could open up the bag and pour in a corney keg and push it out with co2. Keep the pressure low though!