Help! Fermentation Issues w/ Irish Red! - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Help! Fermentation Issues w/ Irish Red!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2010, 11:32 PM   #1
rsavage
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Burlington VT
Posts: 4


So we have had an Irish Red extract brew in primary since last Monday. Fermentation started out excellent, around 66*F for a few days. Last Friday, we noticed that the airlock had fully stopped bubbling and consequently decided to take a gravity reading, which read 1.020 (FG should be 1.011 per the recipe). The cover went back on, the temperature outside went up (80-85 degrees), and without any a/c or a cool spot in the apartment the fermentation temp. rose to about 75*F. Today I took a gravity reading and still got 1.020. The yeast is Safale S-04, 11.5 grams.

So my question is, whats stopping the yeast from finishing up? I know the temperature changes probably had some effect, but would they halt the yeast altogether? I can rack to secondary if this will help, or bottle the beer, but I'm not sure which of these is the right path. Any advice would be much appreciated.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:58 PM   #2
TipsyDragon
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
California
Posts: 2,607
Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts


i would wait till 3 weeks from brew day then bottle. extract recipes are almost never as fermentable as an all grain recipe. but 9 points seems like a lot though. what was the recipe? also what was the OG?



 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:18 AM   #3
petep1980
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
petep1980's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Posts: 1,900
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts


1.020 is my extract final gravity using the same procedures which will produce a 1.008 with AG.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:49 AM   #4
rsavage
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Burlington VT
Posts: 4

Thanks for the replies, guys.

The OG of the recipe was close to 1.059, which is what the recipe specifies. The recipe was written for extract, so I assume the OG and FG specs should be accurate for using extract. I didn't realize, though, that there was that much of a gravity difference between all grain and extract brewing, which makes sense.

So I guess I'm still not sure... should I rack to secondary? Its been so warm in my house lately that I'm afraid off flavors will be strong if I don't get the beer off of that yeast. I guess that would slow down any remaining fermentation, though. Hmmm.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:23 AM   #5
Eluna
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Arcata/Eureka
Posts: 89

For my stuck stuck fermentation's i do

Step 1-Gentle Swirl every other day for 1 week and recheck gravity if no change i got to step 2

Step 2- gently rack over to secondary you might get lucky and have fermentation start back up from yeast being roused back into the wort after you have done this wait a week and check Gravity still no change...

Step 3- go ahead and bottle and it will still be a great beer i think


__________________
Fermenting


KEG
Red Mail Ale (red-tail ale Clone)5 gal

Drinking
Deluge Imperial Russian stout
Apfelwein
Solid Nut Brown Ale
Foot N' Mouth IPA
Shakmat Weiss King Weiss Bier

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help with Fermentation Issues Otter All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 6 02-19-2009 03:59 PM
RIS Fermentation Issues IndyPABrewGuy General Techniques 12 04-24-2008 06:46 PM
Need help, fermentation issues. stormtracker General Techniques 9 02-28-2008 06:37 PM
Fermentation Issues RobBrown Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 07-15-2007 12:57 PM
Fermentation issues FrewBrew General Techniques 4 09-15-2005 01:11 PM


Forum Jump