1st Time Kegging...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BSBrewer

Reaction score
So my Amber Ale should be ready to go this afternoon and rather than bottling I'm going to keg this batch since the keezer is officially up and running. Just want to make sure that I am going down the right path.

1. Clean/sanitize per the norm
2. Rack beer to keg
3. Close Keg
4. Hit with high CO2 (25-30PSI)
5. Purge keg
6. Hook up keg at my normal PSI
7. Let it sit for 2 weeks then enjoy

This sound about right?

that is pretty much it! I recommend following the table at the bottom of Wildwests signature to get the desired pressure settings, it is an amazing carb table!

that is pretty much it! I recommend following the table at the bottom of Wildwests signature to get the desired pressure settings, it is an amazing carb table!

Hate to ask, but that chart doesn't show how much time has lapsed, do you just do 2 weeks? I realize is slow carbing but dont know how long it will take to get where it needs to be.

i force carb in 48 hrs so i dont know exactly how long the "slow" carbing takes, but i think some guys leave it for 3 weeks to give it enough time to equalize and balance out. the good thing with the slow carb is that you cant over carb. i always tell myself that i'm going to try this but i always lose my patience.:eek:

I find that 2 weeks does pretty good, 3 weeks is even better for slow carbing... I have not personally tried it, but I would imagine you could set pressure according to the table, assuming the keg is at the serving temp, shake the keg, to speed up the carbing without risking overcarbing due to over absorption. this may knock some time off but I couldnt tell you for sure.

What do you use for the temp and pressure for the 48 hours fast carb?

and

What do you use for the temp and pressure for the 2-3 week slow carb?

Hate to ask, but that chart doesn't show how much time has lapsed, do you just do 2 weeks? I realize is slow carbing but dont know how long it will take to get where it needs to be.

You leave it at that psi until the keg is empty.

What do you use for the temp and pressure for the 48 hours fast carb?

and

What do you use for the temp and pressure for the 2-3 week slow carb?

for the first 24 hrs i use 35 psi, then the next 24 i go 25-30 psi. all at serving temp which i set at 45 degrees. the beer is drinkable and is indeed carbed up but it does take some additional time to balance out... i would say another week until its exactly where i want it to be. i'm usually itching to try to beer so i'll tolerate those few pints i take when its not 100% :cross:

for the first 24 hrs i use 35 psi, then the next 24 i go 25-30 psi. all at serving temp which i set at 45 degrees. the beer is drinkable and is indeed carbed up but it does take some additional time to balance out... i would say another week until its exactly where i want it to be. i'm usually itching to try to beer so i'll tolerate those few pints i take when its not 100% :cross:

interesting. I just kegged my first batches of beer and Ikm going to try your method.

I agree with defenestrate. I know "Set it and forget it" is the method du jour around here....but I've had excellent results with 30 PSI at 38F for 48 hrs. Never overcarbed, (unless I've shaken!) and if undercarbed I just give it more time in 12 hr increments until it's right.

I find that 2 weeks does pretty good, 3 weeks is even better for slow carbing... I have not personally tried it, but I would imagine you could set pressure according to the table, assuming the keg is at the serving temp, shake the keg, to speed up the carbing without risking overcarbing due to over absorption. this may knock some time off but I couldnt tell you for sure.

That's exactly what I do for my kegs, I get full carbonation in about 5days. it balances almost completely by day 8 all I do is shake my keg 6-7 times a day at the appropriate psi for the temp and desired volumes and like magic it's about perfect.

Back