Afraid I Ruined My Batch With Pecans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zgardener

Reaction score
So I started a Maibock last night so I popped open a few of my Vanilla Pecan Porters that I brewed about a month and a half ago. It poured with great head, at least 2 fingers on top and it was maintained to the bottom of the glass, beautiful.
The thing is that I couldn't get over that it had a slight sour smell, and SWMBO said that it tasted a little more bitter than before. I thought it tasted fine, but the smooth vanilla flavor was definitely toned down and the bitterness was a little more, but not unpleasing. I drank two of them, same sour smell and slight bitterness.
So my question, could this be because of the residual pecan oils are going rancid, or maybe its because it should age longer? Or maybe those two bottles got a slight infection? There was some gunk at the mouth of the bottle, but I think thats because those bottles were stored upside down for a little while.
Please share you thoughts, I still have about 25 of these bottles left and I'd hate to pour them out!:confused:

Drink 'em until you can't stand the taste any more, then cook with 'em!

Why were you storing your homebrew upside-down?? You silly goose.

if it is indeed an infection, i'd drink them quickly.

in my experience, sourness only got worse.

Vanilla fades, so that might be part of the problem. Sour isn't rancid, at least to my taste buds. More likely there's an infection.

The weird thing is that the 'infection' if that is it just appeared all of the sudden. No problems in either fermentation and any of the other bottles that I had before last night. Maybe its just an isolated incident and I got a few mediocre bottles... Lets hope...

Back