Muscovado sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLem

Reaction score
DOes anyone have the specs (PPG and SRM) of Muscovado sugar? It is not listed in Beer Smith. Thanks.

I've used Dark Muscavado Sugar just once in an Old Ale. Following the lead of other recipes on the internet, I used an SRM of 25 in BeerSmith.

On that 5G batch, I accidentally used 1.5# instead of my planned 1.0#. While the beer was young, the Muscavado was quite sweet & strong.. like a dark brown sugar. It mellowed out well after about 3 months though. When I do the batch again, I will take it down to 1# in 5 gallons.. or about 5% of the bill.

Interestingly, I found this article on different sugar types and their effects on the beer, which includes Muscavado as well as candi sugars, etc.

I will definitely use this sugar in future beers, but with a lighter hand, depending upon style.

Good luck! :mug:
--LexusChris

Thanks for the info. I'm going to use some in my 2010 Barleywine. I was going to use ~6% along with ~3% blackstrap molasses (I wanted to use black treacle, but couldn't find any).

Thanks too for the link. I've actually read quite a bit on that blog, but hadn't seen this one yet.

Yeah, it ended up with the same OG as the table sugar, so close enough to 45 ppg. 25 SRM is probably about right since it was a bit lighter than the soft dark candi sugar that is listed at 40. That said Moscavado is variable product, so some sources will be more or less refined than others.

On a side note, be careful with that blackstrap molasses, it can get metallic tasting pretty quickly. I’ve had better luck with “mild” molasses, much rummier less harsh character. That said a big beer like a barleywine should be able to stand up to some rough notes after some age.

Back