Non Dairy coffee creamer in beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well. make a batch of beer an separate about half a gallon or so and add the creamer. prime and bottle it on its own and compare it against the rest of the batch.

So add the creamer after FG has been reached? I was thinking about putting the creamer in the last 5-10 minutes of the boil. I guess I could just make a real small batch to experiment. I'm curious to see how this would effect a stout.

The biggest red flag for me is

The principal ingredients in all of these nondairy creamers are sugars and vegetable oils. The three brands contain partially hydrogenated oils loaded with trans fats.

You don't really want those fats in your beer. I believe the sodium caseinate is some sort of an emulsifier, so the fats might not be too much of a problem. The sugar in creamer won't really do anything to help your beer either.

My suggestion would be to dose a commercial beer with it in the glass and see how it tastes.

I will probably try both of those ideas.
I think adding it to a finished commercial beer might just make it sweeter.?
The yeast will hopefully dispose of all the sugars in it during ferementation. We'll see... I will post the results.

Why not just add lactose if you want some residual sweetness? That's how you'd traditionally make a milk stout. It won't ferment, and you aren't adding oils and artificial crap to your brew.

The biggest red flag for me is

You don't really want those fats in your beer. I believe the sodium caseinate is some sort of an emulsifier, so the fats might not be too much of a problem. The sugar in creamer won't really do anything to help your beer either.

My suggestion would be to dose a commercial beer with it in the glass and see how it tastes.

Just found this on Wiki:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casein
Casein is often listed as sodium caseinate, calcium caseinate or milk protein. These are often found in energy bars, drinks as well as packaged goods.

Eww... Don't do it. This sounds like beer suicide. Non dairy creamer is just a step or two away from being plastic. You don't really want that in your beer.

The fats will kill any head retention and the fats will rancid over time.

Eww... Don't do it. This sounds like beer suicide. Non dairy creamer is just a step or two away from being plastic. You don't really want that in your beer.

The fats will kill any head retention and the fats will rancid over time.

I will only do a small amount. If its bad no harm done. The fun of the experiment alone will be worth it for me.

I was just drinking coffee and thought about it. Just curious to see what it will do. I am hoping that it will make the beer fuller and creamier.

Then use Maltodextrine and/or lactose. Malltodextrine will add body and a certain creaminess...and Lactose will sweeten it, it is the main ingredient that went into milk or cream stouts.

Then use Maltodextrine and/or lactose. Malltodextrine will add body and a certain creaminess...and Lactose will sweeten it, it is the main ingredient that went into milk or cream stouts.

Can you get maltodextrine at Homebrew shops?

Back