Agressive Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pale Ale Dale

Reaction score
Just put on a stout recently and just for the record I used a stout tin plus grains and hops and malt light and dark, malto dextrin, munich, crystal, chocolate grain, roast barley and northern brewer hops.

This brew gave me an og of 1070 and two days later it was at 1030 and stopped bubbling.

At this stage i racked it and it commenced bubbling again.

This is the first time I have ever racked my beer and Im wondering if ive racked too early or too late. The guy at the hb shop reckons three days in the primary.

Dry yeast was used.

Does this sound kosher?

Sounds like ya got a little impatient. Most fermentation (yeast induced flavors and alcohol production) will happen in the first couple of days, so an initial dramatic drop in specific gravity followed by a gradual decrease is perfectly normal. Racking your beer after only two days is probably jumping the gun a bit. Give it at least 4 days, if not a week. Most sources say that you aren't going to harm your beer by leaving it on the yeast/trub cake for up to a month, so a couple of extra days certainly wouldn't hurt. RDWHAHB!

Back