Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Man, I love Apfelwein

Old 08-29-2012, 09:52 PM   #10211
DarkBrood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugerRedhawk View Post
My english cider yeast was too old and the starter didn't work. My buddy just harvested yeast from his belgian IPA, do you guys think that would work well? I've already made a batch with montrache, but looking for something a little different.
Some of the hoppiness from the IPA will likely show through (particularly if the yeast isn't fully washed). I'd love to hear about what a Belgian ale yeast would do with this - I'd ferment on the cooler side, to control some ester production (too much fruitiness and it may clash with the base recipe's flavors). Please share your results!

WRITER: http://BrewsAndStews.wordpress.com TWITTER @DarkBroodBrews
PHOTOGRAPHER: http://Brian-Gibson.FineArtAmerica.com

Old 08-30-2012, 05:04 AM   #10212
NHowell16
Recipes 

My local homebrew supply shop didn't have Montrechet yeast... so while I'm waiting for my lone order to arrive, I'm experimenting with my 1 gallon jug of cider. I LOVE Apfelwein... and though, could i make a caramel apfelwein for something a bit more "dessert" like? Here's what I did...

Ingredients:
1 gallon cider
2 cups table sugar
1 cup dextrose (corn sugar)
25 raisins (for nutrient)
1 packet champagne yeast.

I mixed the table sugar with about a cup of the cider, and cooked about 20 minutes until a nice caramel flavour was made. I added the caramel mixture, along with the dextrose and raisins to the 1 gallon jug of cider, and mixed it up. I then added rehydrated chapagne yeast... and now I'm waiting on the results.

I have NO idea if this will even work. Does anyone have any insight or suggestions?
O.G. = 1.1

Old 08-30-2012, 03:13 PM   #10213
ryclo
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I finally made this recipe last night, its in a 15 gal plastic conical fermentor and just barely bubbling this morning. Does the Montrechet yeast usually start slow?? I am use to ale yeast with starters really taking off and huge krausens!

Old 08-30-2012, 04:07 PM   #10214
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 260 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENZ View Post
I know this has been asked, but I couldn't find anything specific to my situation. I have two kegs of apfelwein for a party I am having in two weeks. (also three kegs beer) I think the apfelwein would go over better with the masses if it were sweetened. I like the idea of using concentrate to get a little more apple flavor. 1) How much concentrate would I use for a 5 gal. batch? 2) Would I have to kill off the yeast? (been aging for 6 months).

Also has anyone tried cinnamon sticks? Is it too late in the game to add them to the keg and leave in?
Why force people to drink it sweetened though?
Keg it, mix up that concentrate with water like your making juice normally and take that with you, or just make it at the party(assuming its somewhere but your place).

People who think its too dry and want more sweet can pour their own apple juice in too taste...some may like it dry, some may hate it dry...no ones taste buds will be the same when it comes to sweets, so why bother trying to force 1 sweetness level when its so much easier just to provide apple juice and or a 24 pack of sprite as mixers.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:03 PM   #10215
Skagdog
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzeWuzze

... its so much easier just to provide apple juice and or a 24 pack of sprite as mixers.
^^this^^

I like it dry, but most have enjoyed it with a splash, SPLASH, of sprite for slight sweetness and some bubbles.

Old 08-31-2012, 03:51 AM   #10216
HBrew71
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 4

It has been five months since I started a batch. Followed the original recipe. Finally opened a bottle today. It is fantastic!

Starting another batch tomorrow. On that note ... has anybody here tried Côte des Blancs yeast? How did it come out?

Old 08-31-2012, 01:35 PM   #10217
snaps10
Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryclo
I finally made this recipe last night, its in a 15 gal plastic conical fermentor and just barely bubbling this morning. Does the Montrechet yeast usually start slow?? I am use to ale yeast with starters really taking off and huge krausens!
If its bubbling, it's fermenting. Give it another day and you'll see it will have picked up.
ryclo Likes This 
Old 08-31-2012, 01:37 PM   #10218
snaps10
Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHowell16
My local homebrew supply shop didn't have Montrechet yeast... so while I'm waiting for my lone order to arrive, I'm experimenting with my 1 gallon jug of cider. I LOVE Apfelwein... and though, could i make a caramel apfelwein for something a bit more "dessert" like? Here's what I did...

Ingredients:
1 gallon cider
2 cups table sugar
1 cup dextrose (corn sugar)
25 raisins (for nutrient)
1 packet champagne yeast.

I mixed the table sugar with about a cup of the cider, and cooked about 20 minutes until a nice caramel flavour was made. I added the caramel mixture, along with the dextrose and raisins to the 1 gallon jug of cider, and mixed it up. I then added rehydrated chapagne yeast... and now I'm waiting on the results.

I have NO idea if this will even work. Does anyone have any insight or suggestions?
O.G. = 1.1
Interested to see if this works. Personally I think I would have used brown sugar for more of a caramel flavor, maybe even gone a little nuts and popped in a little bit of hersheys bar, but I'm crazy like that. Anxiously awaiting your results. I think a caramel apfelwein flavor would be killer in the fall.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:33 PM   #10219
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 260 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryclo View Post
You wont see any krausen with this yeast. It will just look like its heavily carbonated, you should see tons of little bubbles coming up..you may get a small layer of bubbles around the rim of your conical and some bunches floating at the top but nothing like we see with beer....

Same with the Champagne yeast from Red Star, except the bubbles are tiny.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:36 PM   #10220
TimpanogosSlim
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzeWuzze

You wont see any krausen with this yeast. It will just look like its heavily carbonated, you should see tons of little bubbles coming up..you may get a small layer of bubbles around the rim of your conical and some bunches floating at the top but nothing like we see with beer....

Same with the Champagne yeast from Red Star, except the bubbles are tiny.
Well, premier cuvee did cause my apfelwein to clog the airlock with krausen in the first 24 hours, but I had very little head space.