Experience with Weyermann "Vienna Red" extract? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Experience with Weyermann "Vienna Red" extract?

Old 11-17-2009, 07:18 AM   #1
mattip
Recipes 

Oct 2009
Stockholm

So, while my first attempt is getting better and better in the bottles, and the second is bubbling away in the fermentor, my wife asked me to brew a Brooklyn Lager clone as the next one.

Since winter is coming and we have plenty of places in the house with different temperatures, I thought it might be a good time to try a lager.

So, have anyone tried the Weyermann "Vienna Red" extract? http://www.weyermann.de/eng/produkte...e=37&sprache=2

It is said to be produced by Vienna Malt, Melanoidin Malt and Pilsner Malt. Would this be a good candidate for a lager that resembles Brooklyn Lager? If so, would it need some specialty grains?

I thought Wyeast 2124 and aim for IBU of about 30 with dry hopping Cascade?

What do you think?

/matti

Old 11-18-2009, 10:17 AM   #2
mattip
Recipes 

Oct 2009
Stockholm

I hope it is OK to bump this thread. Did noone try this extract? It is supposed to be Vienna malt, Malanoidin malt and Pilsner malt in it.

Would it generally be better to use at lest some steeping grains here, or can I try this LME as it is?

/matti

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattip View Post
So, while my first attempt is getting better and better in the bottles, and the second is bubbling away in the fermentor, my wife asked me to brew a Brooklyn Lager clone as the next one.

Since winter is coming and we have plenty of places in the house with different temperatures, I thought it might be a good time to try a lager.

So, have anyone tried the Weyermann "Vienna Red" extract? http://www.weyermann.de/eng/produkte...e=37&sprache=2

It is said to be produced by Vienna Malt, Melanoidin Malt and Pilsner Malt. Would this be a good candidate for a lager that resembles Brooklyn Lager? If so, would it need some specialty grains?

I thought Wyeast 2124 and aim for IBU of about 30 with dry hopping Cascade?

What do you think?

/matti

Old 01-19-2011, 02:34 PM   #3
pkgmsu2000
Recipes 

Aug 2010
chicago

bump

i'm looking for this LME in the states. anyone know where to buy?

Old 01-21-2011, 07:47 PM   #4
storunner13
Recipes 

Jan 2010
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I haven't used Weyermann Vienna Red extract...It's really hard to find in the states. I'm sure it would be a good idea to use in Brooklyn Lager. I'm not sure you'd need to add some specialty grains to make it. I might use Hallertau hops in the boil though. Check out this recipe. You might even want to try partial mashing vienna with extra light malt extract to get it right.

Pkgmsu...I think you're out of luck. Try a partial mash!

Old 01-21-2011, 10:19 PM   #5
pkgmsu2000
Recipes 

Aug 2010
chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by storunner13 View Post
I haven't used Weyermann Vienna Red extract...It's really hard to find in the states. I'm sure it would be a good idea to use in Brooklyn Lager. I'm not sure you'd need to add some specialty grains to make it. I might use Hallertau hops in the boil though. Check out this recipe. You might even want to try partial mashing vienna with extra light malt extract to get it right.

Pkgmsu...I think you're out of luck. Try a partial mash!
for those that might be looking, i did find a place in Woburn, MA that can get the Weyermann Vienna Red LME for you. The cost is $54 for a jug of 9 lbs. You can call them at 800-523-5423 and ask for Tracie. They can special order it and it takes 2-3 weeks.

storunner, i am going to do just as you suggested, a partial mash with 3 lbs of pilsen light DME, 3 lbs of vienna grains, along with a little munich 10L and some cara.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:22 PM   #6
gjb2107
Recipes 

Oct 2012
Miami, Florida
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I know its an old post but for anybody looking I found the Weyerman Vienna Red online at Toronto Brewing.

http://www.torontobrewing.ca/servlet...Premium/Detail

I have not yet ordered it so I can't make any promises, but thought people might be interested
Bottled: Simple Cider, Grapefruit-Ginger Wheat Beer, Simple IPA
Commercial in fridge:

Old 12-15-2015, 08:12 AM   #7
Aggedor
Recipes 

Aug 2014
Hurst, Texas

Very hard to find in the states, but I found 24-1226 Briess Goldpils Vienna LME to be a good equivalent. I found it at homebrewing.org, but the shipping was a bit pricey. Austin Homebrew Supply has it with free shipping over $50, so that's where I'll be getting it from now on. I'm going to be trying it an extract+adjunct versions of Shiner Bock and Negra Modelo clones.

Old 12-15-2015, 01:23 PM   #8
unionrdr
Heavyweight homebrewing author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Sheffield, Ohio
Liked 3673 Times on 3157 Posts

I'm wondering if you could mash some Carared & melanoidin malt to complete the flavors of that LME? Maybe with German pils malt?
New! John Henry- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GBV3UXU