Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone

Old 01-14-2011, 03:57 PM   #101
godfathermg57
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

EDIT: Double posted by accident

Last edited by godfathermg57; 01-14-2011 at 03:59 PM.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:12 PM   #102
arover
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Godfather, there was an active thread a while back with the recipe for KBS posted in Zymurgy by one of the head brewers(?) from Founders. You may want to look at it if that's what you're looking for more of.

I'm brewing this recipe up tomorrow...very excited

Old 01-14-2011, 11:42 PM   #103
godfathermg57
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by arover View Post
Godfather, there was an active thread a while back with the recipe for KBS posted in Zymurgy by one of the head brewers(?) from Founders. You may want to look at it if that's what you're looking for more of.

I'm brewing this recipe up tomorrow...very excited
Thanks for pointing out the thread. The recipe there was pretty similar as far as grains and OG which bodes well. I might add bourbon chips to the secondary, but I might not if I feel it could override some of the other flavors (vanilla, chocolate, etc).

Good luck on brewing it... did you make any alterations to the recipe or are you just following pretty much as is?

Old 01-15-2011, 12:28 AM   #104
arover
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The grain bill looks fine to me--I'm raising the originally posted bittering addition to reach roughly 50-55 IBU as calculated by Beersmith and then letting the coffee and nibs account for some extra bitterness to reach ~60. I'm also doing the late additions a little closer to flame-out as to not completely boil off all the volatile compounds. Other then that, I'm sticking to the clone recipe- Got some nice high quality sumatra and kona beans, as well as some fair-trade organic nibs and organic bittersweet baker's chocolate ready to go

If you're looking to mimic the KBS more I'd definitely add some wood chips soaked in bourbon (then toss the whole thing in) but let the chips soak no more than a week depending on the amount. You might even want to consider oak cubes (though in the secondary for much longer) if you want to add some more complexity to the flavor.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:32 AM   #105
godfathermg57
Recipes 

I realized since I'll be making a vanilla extraction that instead of using vodka, I should use bourbon which should extract just as good but also leave a bourbon flavor in the beer.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:42 PM   #106
mhot55
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I can attest to the fact that this recipe is outstanding! I share my stuff with the same people generally. Some love stouts, some hate dark beers. They all said this one was fantastic, the best one i made. I give thanks to Dubbeldach for the post. Stellar beer!
Brewed 5.5 gallons back in early October. OG=1.075, FG=1.022 with slight mods. I also wanted to lower alcohol just a little. Only difference in how i did it was:

12lbs 2-row
2.2 lbs flaked oats (yeah, i said 2+ lbs!)
14 oz. pale chocolate
12 oz. roasted barley
8 oz. carafa III
6 oz. caramel 120L
1 oz Chinook (13%) 60 min
1 oz Willemette (5.5%) 15 min
.5 oz Willemette (5.5%) 0 min
WY 1056

kettle= 2oz coffee beans flameout, 2.5 oz. cocoa powder 15 minutes, 1.5 oz cocoa nibs 5 minutes.
secondary= 1.5 oz. cocoa beans, 2 oz. cracked coffee beans
bottling= 2.5 oz. cold steeped kona coffee and 1+ oz chocolate extract

I used chocolate extract at bottling because the coffee flavor seemed too strong, overpowering the chocolate.... but this changed with aging.

3 weeks primary @ 65*, 4 weeks secondary @ 65*, at least 4 weeks bottle conditioned. The longer the better.

The coffee really mellowed after it carb'd, and continues to do so the longer it sits. I would love to give this a 3+ month bottle condition but there's no way it's gonna last that long (I may have to make another batch and forget about it for awhile). By the way carbonation was 2.3 volumes. No one seems to ever give this little bit of info. The alcohol is hidden well, but its warmth is present. The mouthfeel is awesome, thick like motor oil. When drinking this, let it warm up just a bit (50*). All the flavors start coming out.

When i re-do this I may try to bring the chocolate a little more foward so it balances a little better with the coffee by either leave out coffee grounds at flameout, or just crack an ounce of them and throw in. Cocoa nibs are awesome, but they can be messy.

I bottled this in belgian bottles and corked them while siphoning off a gallon on the side and throwing medium toasted oak cubes soaked in an ounce of maker's mark and let them sit for a month before bottling. Smelled fan-frickin-tastic.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:39 PM   #107
arover
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Just curious, has anyone tried adding a dash of bourbon after pouring a glass of this stuff to see how it complements it?

Old 01-24-2011, 12:15 AM   #108
mhot55
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

i have added a splash of bourbon to the glass. just be careful a little too much and the bourbon can overtake the beer. a splash for a 12. oz glass/ bottle is usually enough. If you want more i would incrementally add bourbon at about a teaspoon at a time to taste. BTW- it does add a different with the bourbon- tastes awesome, particularly on a cold night and you let the stout warm up a bit.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:24 AM   #109
arover
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thx for the input- I'll be kegging this in about 2 weeks and I was contemplating splitting a batch and adding bourbon soaked oak chips or kegging the whole thing and letting it age then perhaps splitting it with some bourbon added (seeing as this recipe is similar to the Kentucky Breakfast Stout clone) but the thing is *gasp* I'm not a big fan of whiskey so I'm curious how well it complements it.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:53 AM   #110
mhot55
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

i split a gallon off the main batch and put 1.5 oz. oak cubes (med toast) soaked in 1 to 1.5 oz. bourbon in the gallon for 2+ weeks- just cracked open a bottle. Taste excellent. just slightly different than regular batch. hard to detect oak and bourbon notes which are competing with all the roasted grain and chocolate and coffee. Again excellent all around, slight different taste from regular batch. I like whiskey enough. In this stout it is really complimentary. as long as u don't overdue it