I dont think I care about my OG anymore

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desert_Sky

Since 1998
Reaction score
Seriously......I really don't

Im doing my 6th AG tomorrow. Ive taken a gravity reading the last 5 times just do see what my effeciency is, and no other reason. And its been the same each time. No more gravity reading to check the wort, no more gravity readings to see if fermentation is complete. It is what it is, and my beer has been good everytime. Its a crutch I need to be weened from.

So I think from now on, Im officially done with my hydrometer. I may keep it around for any big beers in my future, but for the normal brewday, its not even coming out of its box anymore.

Am I doing the right thing?

Well, I'm a lesbian in a man's body I guess that makes me a jerk just for saying that too!;)

I've been using my hydrometer (OK, not the original) for 13 years and have no reason to stop using it. I want to know my OG. I want to know my FG.
I spend a lot of money on my HB supplies to waste it on guessing.:mug:

If that is your choice that's fine. New brewers don't know what they're doing yet. They should learn the purpose of a hydrometer and how it's used.
They have to crawl before they can walk and walk before they can run.;)

Why would you think of it as a cruch? It's a tool. Thats about it. You said you are using it to see if fermentation is complete. Fermentation is done when its done :) I use a hydrometer on every beer I've made. But I've never actually used it to see if fermentation was done unless I think I have a stuck one.

Beer Snob said:
Why would you think of it as a cruch? It's a tool.

Cruch/tool . . .same difference. Ya dont NEED your hydrometer but it can help. If you are happy with what you are making and havent been using it I say throw it out.

I havent used mine since my 1st AG batch

Pumbaa said:
Cruch/tool . . .same difference...
I doubt it. I know, metaphorically speaking, the word "crutch" can refer to an object that is a weakness, that the bearer requires in order to function.

A hydrometer is used to take the guesswork out of a process. That's not a weakness. I think it is illogical to not use a hydrometer.

I equate it to jumping down the steps when there are steps to walk down. If you fall then you are stupid and deserve to get hurt (make bad brew).

Well.... you asked if your doing the right thing..... I think you might be doing the right thing for the wrong reason. Perhaps you just need to think about why you are using your hydrometer? I think you do care about your gravity. If your gravity should be 1.005 and you taste it and it is terribly sweet... you ARE GOING TO TAKE OUT YOUR HYDROMETER. Why... well, why wouldn't you? Your a good brewer... how do you know your a good brewer, because as you said you can make a consistantly good tasting beer. Nobody said this tool in your box was meant to be just used to see if your fermentation has stoped right? If thats all your using it for then certainly, put the thing away and forget about it. (actually you can send it to that guy that keeps breaking his, I'm sure he'll thank you for it :) )

it's an old discussion that comes up all the time. Yes it's a tool, yes it has many uses, yes it can help you brew more consistantly.

No it wont save your beer from being a bad batch, no you wont brew a bad batch specificly because you didnt use it, no it's not like jumping down the stairs.

I would equate it more being like tightening a nut to "snug tight" . . . sure you dont need a wrench to snug it up but it does help and can make eveything a bit easier . . . If anyone wants my hydrometer feel free to swing on by, and have a few brews . . . just dont forget to take the hydrometer when ya leave

It's beer for cripes sake, not rocket science
We are making somethign we enjoy consuming, not going to the moon

Beer Snob said:
Well.... you asked if your doing the right thing..... I think you might be doing the right thing for the wrong reason. Perhaps you just need to think about why you are using your hydrometer? I think you do care about your gravity. If your gravity should be 1.005 and you taste it and it is terribly sweet... you ARE GOING TO TAKE OUT YOUR HYDROMETER. Why... well, why wouldn't you? Your a good brewer... how do you know your a good brewer, because as you said you can make a consistantly good tasting beer. Nobody said this tool in your box was meant to be just used to see if your fermentation has stoped right? If thats all your using it for then certainly, put the thing away and forget about it. (actually you can send it to that guy that keeps breaking his, I'm sure he'll thank you for it :) )
I hear you. And I do care about my gravity since I strive to brew to style.

Anyway, all good brewers know the reason a beer is too sweet has nothing to do with the hydrometer...more like not enough hops. That's a fault in (your) recipe building, not the hydrometer.

I like keeping track of the fermentation at all stages. In the end I can tell you what my OG/FG/final percentages were at certain times in the process.

If you don't use a hydrometer then it's only a "good enough" or "it oughta be ready" guess as to when to bottle.;)

Whew! This discussion again? Actually, I have changed my process. I use the hydrometer now, and I used to not. Why? Because I like to know how strong my beers are. I feel like part of my learning to brew is figuring out if strong or weak alcohol content makes much difference in taste. Plus, it's just fun to know! After all, I live in an 3.2 state. (oh yeah, and I had bottle bombs one time).

Having said that, I'm not going to try to convince you all to use one. It does make you worry sometimes.

ok, maybe the term crutch was put out there a little to loosely. Basically, I like the idea that my beer is going to be what it is going to be whether or not I pull out the ol' gravity measurin device. I guess Im just becoming more confident in my methods, and know how it will turn out.

I just got into this conversation with SWMBO. Im letting her take the reigns a bit more, and she was asking "well lets see if its ready to bottle" or "is the gravity of the runnings ok". Knowing my MLT, and knowing the fermentation stage of my carboys, which I still stare into for a good 20 minutes a day mind you.....I can tell you where its at, and where it needs to be if that makes sense.

and now that Ive said that, my next batch will have bottle bombs

[cheesey line] I am becoming one with the beer[/cheesey line] :ban: :ban: :ban: :ban:

Chimone said:
Seriously......I really don't

Im doing my 6th AG tomorrow. Ive taken a gravity reading the last 5 times just do see what my effeciency is, and no other reason. And its been the same each time. No more gravity reading to check the wort, no more gravity readings to see if fermentation is complete. It is what it is, and my beer has been good everytime. Its a crutch I need to be weened from.

So I think from now on, Im officially done with my hydrometer. I may keep it around for any big beers in my future, but for the normal brewday, its not even coming out of its box anymore.

Am I doing the right thing?

Dude! I am with ya. I "tried" to take some readings for a couple batches to see alcohol content, but why? Who cares. I've done 5 partial and 10 AG and each as been good. My main problem is not waiting at least 2 weeks after I bottle. I guess if entering a contest you need to know ? but otherwise, I'm cool doing my beers on the fly. Hell, its hard enough to find time to brew, time to rack to the 2nd, time to bottle, and time to drink, ok, the latter ain't that hard..

What do I care for efficiency? I buy $10 worth of grain, couple bucks of hops, and some yeast and I'm good. Worry about the process and your recipe.

Beer is art.

I really couldn't care less about knowing the ABV of my beers.

I do want the malt/hops balance to be right, though, so I do take readings on brew day: mostly right after sparging. That way, if my efficiency was significantly lower or higher than I expected, I can still compensate with a higher hopping rate or some DME if I think it's necessary.

I rarely take a hydro reading other than on brew day. If I started getting beers that were too dry or too sweet, then I guess I'd need to know the FGs. But until then, I see no reason to bother.

I agree, if I were doing an unusually big beer or something that was outside my normal comfort zone, then I'd probably use it more.

Denny's Brew said:
To hydro or not to hydro.
That is the question.

Uh oh, better stop now before another online poem starts. :D

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of under-attenuation,
Or to take arms against a sea of fermentables,
and by pitching end them

LOOK what you made me do!!!

:ban: :ban:

:mug:
mikey

God Emporer BillyBrew said:
Whew! This discussion again? Actually, I have changed my process. I use the hydrometer now, and I used to not. Why? Because I like to know how strong my beers are. I feel like part of my learning to brew is figuring out if strong or weak alcohol content makes much difference in taste. Plus, it's just fun to know! After all, I live in an 3.2 state. (oh yeah, and I had bottle bombs one time).

Having said that, I'm not going to try to convince you all to use one. It does make you worry sometimes.
I hear ya!;) I can tell you what my gravities are if you asked me. People who don't use a hydrometer can't answer that question.

I'm not trying to convert anyone either, my gripe is with experienced brewers stating flatly to new users that they don't need a hydrometer. Granted they don't, but new brewers don't know what they do need and don't want yet.

Since they usually come with brewing setups/kits they should know how to use it and what it does for them and their brews.

They can be very useful for fine tuning your technique if you change your equipment, or methods. For normal brews, I find them completely useless, although it took me many years to realize this.

-a.

I haven't even taken my hydrometer out of the case for the last half dozen brews I've made. I don't think the ancient monks had hydrometers, and that's good enough for me.

you guys who are experienced probably don't give a damn, but for us beginners a hydrometer is a very useful tool... i really cannot imagine not using one in the future., but i leave the option open for changing my mind open.

of course the taste of the brew is of most importance. With that said, for us beginners, learning the art, learning about alcohol percentages are part of the art. i brew for taste and for alcohol. i really don't want a great tasting beer with 2% alcohol, nor do i want a bad tasting brew with 12% alcohol.

with that being said, as a beginner, i need my hydrometer...

just my .02

How does a hydrometer effect the taste?

How good is your hydrometer?

How good are you at reading it?

I don't use one, like I said, but probably will again just to learn how to and just to know. My point is , don't worry about it.

I completely forgot to take a gravity reading when making Walker-san's IPA. Given his attitude towards the devices, I think that was the right course of action!

Of course, this was the beer I was *most* curious about, but, oh well...

The first time I tried to use a hydrometer, I broke it.

I now test ABV by chugging a test beer as fast as possible, and rating the buzz I get. Seems to be pretty reliable method. ;)

nitro4040 said:
How does a hydrometer effect the taste?

How good is your hydrometer?

How good are you at reading it?

I don't use one, like I said, but probably will again just to learn how to and just to know. My point is , don't worry about it.

Well since you have the above questions I can clearly understand why you dont use one now.

When I brew my house beers I want them to taste the same every time so gravity readings are very important. I know how to hit my OG and I can hopefully hit my FG if fermentation goes well, if not I can fix it.

Without a hydrometer its a crap shoot, just because it stopped bubbling doesn't mean its done. Im brewing 25 gallons of a Mild tomorrow and I don't want the gravity to go above 1.045, without a refractometer I have no idea what my gravity is near the end of the runoff.

If you want to perfect your beer then use a hydrometer, if you don't care how your beer turns out then don't....

I now test ABV by chugging a test beer as fast as possible, and rating the buzz I get. Seems to be pretty reliable method.

Haha same here. I can usually tell to within +/-.2 ABV :)

I use a hydrometer so I can get my malt/hop balance right. Can't fault find if you dont have this info. I may give it up one day when my efficiency always falls at the same level and i'm brewing something I know. Probably not though, it's not like its a hassle.

Monster Mash said:
If you want to perfect your beer then use a hydrometer, if you don't care how your beer turns out then don't....

I think thats a matter of opinion.

The fact of the matter of this is that up until about what 100 years ago? we didnt have Hydrometers. the Vikings made beer without a steady land to live off, not to mention a steady yeast source, they had a stick that yeast grew on and stired they brew with. Egyptians made beer before they even understood fermentation, It was magic to them. People say we should brew "like a monk" or like they did long ago... not that any of us will sit a bucket of wort on our back porch open till it ferments, but we dont need those things. I dont even own one and my beers taste great. I would say if you are to do away with your Hydrometer you should understand the yeast you use well, make sure you know when it should be ending its cycles and the such. Brewing is easy as walking, we have done it since we crawled from the Primortial ooze.

I use my hydrometer every time I brew, I don't get stressed out if I miss my OG or FG but I do like to keep track of my efficiency on each mash, it makes it a lot easier to formulate recipes when you know you hit 80% or higher on every mash.

pariah said:
The first time I tried to use a hydrometer, I broke it.

I now test ABV by chugging a test beer as fast as possible, and rating the buzz I get. Seems to be pretty reliable method. ;)
BWAHAHAHAHAHA brilliant. I take hydrometer readings but that sounds like a winner to me.

DAMMIT !!!

3 brews, 2 broken hydrometers.

I'm gonna have to start taking it a little more easy on mine.

First one I broke was sanitizing for my 2nd brew. Lessons learned on that and cramming more equipment into my sanitizing bucket. it was actually the bottle tree i was pushing down into the solution that did it...

Then last night while on my 3rd brew, the SWMBO and I were sharing kitchen space. i went to clear her a spot on the counter and the hydrometer hit the floor. :mad: Another lesson learned.

glad i had bought two on my last trip to my LHBS.

From now on, I will keep it seperated and protected until i plan on using it.

I keep every thing glass in one pile away from every thing else cause I know I would break stuff. thermometer goes in to the mash then a bucket of bleach water at sparge time.

G. Cretin said:
I keep every thing glass in one pile away from every thing else cause I know I would break stuff. thermometer goes in to the mash then a bucket of bleach water at sparge time.

I am learning. Those hydrometers are awful fragile. :(

no mercury in thermometers anymore unless you have an old school one, finally somebody found out it does not make sence to put a mercury filled vial in your mouth when sick.

CheaperPlease said:
no mercury in thermometers anymore unless you have an old school one, finally somebody found out it does not make sence to put a mercury filled vial in your mouth when sick.

I have an old lab thermometer I use to cal my digital one. but it comes out of the package, takes a reading an goes right back in. the thing feels delicate as hell

I don't know why anybody wouldn't want to use all the tools available to him/her. We are involved in this hobby because we love beer, and we like to make our own, and in the all grain forum, we like to have the ultimate control and flexibility in our beermaking. We have tons of gadgets and tools for each step of the way. Why would you make any of those tools unavailable? It's not a particular bother to take a gravity reading. As someone else in this thread stated, it's not going to change anything. You just take a reading for informational purposes. If things always go well, just think of it as confirmation and as an ego boost.

But hey, it's your brew day. You are going to do what you want, but I can't imagine why you'd make a informational tool unavailable to you. It certainly doesn't hurt anything, and it doesn't make you any less of a brewer.

Steve973 said:
But hey, it's your brew day. You are going to do what you want, but I can't imagine why you'd make a informational tool unavailable to you. It certainly doesn't hurt anything, and it doesn't make you any less of a brewer.

why don't I? Did you read my initial post?

My efficiency is the same...everytime. So I dont need it anymore for that.
From my notes and growing experience, I can tell when my beer is done fermenting.

Im homebrewing. Im not a pro......yet ;) If I were to go pro, then yes...I would take readings. Im homebrewing, my beer is fantastic, and yes I can replicate a recipe without a problem.

If you choose to use it, well more power to you. If I choose not to, thats my choice. They aren't neccesary.

Chimone said:
why don't I? Did you read my initial post?

My efficiency is the same...everytime. So I dont need it anymore for that.
From my notes and growing experience, I can tell when my beer is done fermenting.

If you choose to use it, well more power to you. If I choose not to, thats my choice. They aren't neccesary.

I think this sums it up pretty well. I had virtually stopped using it in my extract batches. I'm still relatively new to AG, so I've been using it quite a bit.

I almost never use it after brew day, although I recently took a reading before racking, because I was using a yeast type for the first time (Cal lager), so therefore was less certain of how the fermentation would go.

I think with a small amount of experience, it can be a completely unecessary tool. I do find it valuable when I'm doing something new, and I think it is a good idea for beginners to use it--it's reassuring to see that things are actually working as they're supposed to.

Back