Will tannin astringency lessen with time/bottle conditioning?? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Will tannin astringency lessen with time/bottle conditioning??

Old 03-29-2009, 11:51 PM   #1
Pisty_Pete
Recipes 

Feb 2009
Greenpoint -Brooklyn, NY

Hi All,

I just bottled my first partial mash and was shocked and dismayed (very nearly squeezed out a few man tears even) to discover an astringent off flavor pervading. Seems pretty certain tannins are the culprit. My question is, is there any way this batch can be salvaged? Will the astringency lessen with time in the bottle?

Many thanks!
p

Old 03-30-2009, 12:00 AM   #2
Edcculus

Recipes 

Jun 2007
Greenville, SC
Liked 48 Times on 45 Posts

Describe the astringency. How much water did you sparge with? What temperature was the water?

I'd describe tannin astringency as more of a feel than a taste. Take a tea bag and boil it for 5 minutes in about a cup of water. Thats what tannin astringency feels like. It dries out your toungue and the roof of your mouth, especially on the sides.

If it is tannins, I guess it could mellow. I've never had the problem.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:52 AM   #3
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Long Island
Liked 105 Times on 99 Posts

I don't know about tannin astringency, but I have had a couple beers that have tasted very astringent after about 3 - 4 weeks in the keg, but which have been fine 3 or 4 weeks later. By this, I don't mean mellowed, I mean that the astringency had completely gone. In both cases, I was using Wyeast 1028 I think.

-a.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:49 PM   #4
Pisty_Pete
Recipes 

Feb 2009
Greenpoint -Brooklyn, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edcculus View Post
Describe the astringency. How much water did you sparge with? What temperature was the water?

I'd describe tannin astringency as more of a feel than a taste. Take a tea bag and boil it for 5 minutes in about a cup of water. Thats what tannin astringency feels like. It dries out your toungue and the roof of your mouth, especially on the sides.

If it is tannins, I guess it could mellow. I've never had the problem.
Thanks for the responses.

It's definitely got the tea bag effect. I used this stovetop technique:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy...ng-pics-75231/

So, I guess my sparge temp was 175* (which cooled down to ~170* after addition of the grain bag).

Old 03-30-2009, 04:34 PM   #5
alpo
Recipes 

Nov 2008
Austin, TX
Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

conditioning can fix a lot of things. You'd be surprised.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:44 PM   #6
SpanishCastleAle

Recipes 

Jan 2009
Central Florida
Liked 36 Times on 36 Posts

See if this thread helps any.

FWIW, I tried gelatin on my tannin-beer but have not tasted it since doing so. I ordered some Polyclar and will try that when I get it.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate