Will tannin astringency lessen with time/bottle conditioning??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pisty_Pete

Reaction score
Hi All,

I just bottled my first partial mash and was shocked and dismayed (very nearly squeezed out a few man tears even) to discover an astringent off flavor pervading. Seems pretty certain tannins are the culprit. My question is, is there any way this batch can be salvaged? Will the astringency lessen with time in the bottle?

Many thanks!
p

Describe the astringency. How much water did you sparge with? What temperature was the water?

I'd describe tannin astringency as more of a feel than a taste. Take a tea bag and boil it for 5 minutes in about a cup of water. Thats what tannin astringency feels like. It dries out your toungue and the roof of your mouth, especially on the sides.

If it is tannins, I guess it could mellow. I've never had the problem.

I don't know about tannin astringency, but I have had a couple beers that have tasted very astringent after about 3 - 4 weeks in the keg, but which have been fine 3 or 4 weeks later. By this, I don't mean mellowed, I mean that the astringency had completely gone. In both cases, I was using Wyeast 1028 I think.

-a.

Describe the astringency. How much water did you sparge with? What temperature was the water?

I'd describe tannin astringency as more of a feel than a taste. Take a tea bag and boil it for 5 minutes in about a cup of water. Thats what tannin astringency feels like. It dries out your toungue and the roof of your mouth, especially on the sides.

If it is tannins, I guess it could mellow. I've never had the problem.
Thanks for the responses.

It's definitely got the tea bag effect. I used this stovetop technique:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/

So, I guess my sparge temp was 175* (which cooled down to ~170* after addition of the grain bag).

Latest posts

Back