6# German Munich
3# Belgian Pilsener
0.75# Belgian Aromatic
0.25# Special B
0.125# Black Roast
0.5# Turbinado Sugar
1oz Perle (8.0%aa) @ 60 mins
Straightforward single infusion mash. 152 for 60 minuts.
OK, so yeast starter didn't start at first. So I pitched the US-05 to begin with. 4 days after initial pitch, the starter actually started. Seeing it was ok, I decided to pitch it.
Seems like the yeast strain was VERY slow to get going, but the bugs were probably ok to begin with. Pitching the neutral ale yeast was probably a good idea.
So the bugs went in on day 3. I did not check the gravity at that time.
Transferred to secondary and took upstairs to closet, where it has sat since. When I tasted it at transfer it was crappy. Not sweet, kinda sour, just crappy.
1/29/09 - There was some scummy looking film over top of surface. It kind of fell down to bottom around this time. Was replaced with slightly thinner scummy looking film.
3/22/09 - Starting to develop a collection of white specs on the surface to go along with the scummy looking bubbles.
7/31/09 - Took a sample. Gravity was 1.010. Taste was suprisingly good and sour. Very reminiscent of red wine due to oak. Thinking to bottle this @ 1 year.
- I put a little less than 1/8 cup of corn sugar in after I pulled the sample to encourage some fermentation to create a CO2 blanket.
8/20/09 - Hadn't checked on this beer since moving it to basement. Flaky white looking layer of mold/pellicle has now formed in past 2 weeks. Good sign that Brett may be gettin' busy.
10/1/09 - Pitched 1/2 pack of rehydrated US-05 dry yeast and bottled.
TASTING NOTES - 10/24/09
- Great beer, well worth the wait.
- The sour flavor is definitely there, but could have gone longer (18-24 months to increase even more). I love the sour flavors in beer, so it might be better for ME if I waited, but this probably has a larger appeal now.
- Oak flavors are apparent with some strong tannin/wine-like character.
- Pie-cherry flavors.
- Unfortunately, I can pick up some flavor from the US-05 which is detrimental. Brew carbonated up in a short while, so I definitely could have added just a little bit of dry yeast, instead of 1/2 pack.