Hard root beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

figgnewton

Reaction score
I had a question about the early flavor of my hard root beer.

I brewed this a week ago and decided to give it a little taste test and the flavor seems alright but it seems a bit too much almost gin like tasting, I was wondering what could cause this flavor?

,here is the list of root beer ingredients I added, sasparilla, sassafras, dried ginger root, wild cherry root, licorice and cinnamon.

If this hard rootbeer acts like regular beer, it will be a bit harsh until it bottle conditions. Regular beer is usually about four weeks in the bottle before the "green" taste wears off.

yeah I wasn't expecting it to taste fully ready or anything but it basically taste like a small shot of gin was placed in it. It sounds like the flavor from gin comes mostly from juniper berries which some root beers have that in it but mine does not. I was just curious if that taste is coming from any of the roots I added. Maybe it is just the green taste and will mellow out after it ages which would be nice.

Latest posts

Back