Alcohol content

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamnw

Reaction score
Sometimes....
I think my beer has more alcohol in it than my hydrometer gives it credit for! :)

Someone I know, who doesn't brew, claims that beer carbonated with CO2 (from a tank) gived the brew more impact. Alcohol levels being the same, he claims you get toasted faster off of brew from a tap. I find it difficult to believe since I can't see how the source of the CO2 making any difference. If anytbing, I would think bottle carbonated would hit a bit harder. Since I'm only kegging my current batches right now its hard to say.

Maybe it just seems like they hit harder since you can pour into any size glass you want and not have empty bottles hanging around as evidence as to how much you've had.

Either way, as long as it tasted right, and the yeast has converted at least a reasonable amount of sugar into happy juice, who cares? :rockin:

Golddiggie said:
Someone I know, who doesn't brew, claims that beer carbonated with CO2 (from a tank) gived the brew more impact. Alcohol levels being the same, he claims you get toasted faster off of brew from a tap. I find it difficult to believe since I can't see how the source of the CO2 making any difference. If anytbing, I would think bottle carbonated would hit a bit harder. Since I'm only kegging my current batches right now its hard to say.

Maybe it just seems like they hit harder since you can pour into any size glass you want and not have empty bottles hanging around as evidence as to how much you've had.

Either way, as long as it tasted right, and the yeast has converted at least a reasonable amount of sugar into happy juice, who cares? :rockin:

No truth to that. It almost certainly has to do with the fact that people rarely pour 12oz into a glass.

You're right that bottle-conditioned would be actually be a tiny bit stronger, due to the priming sugar. Though not really at a noticeable level. The priming sugar only adds a few points of a percent ABV though... generally in the area of 0.2 to 0.4%.

Assuming you're non-brewing buddy is a BMC drinker, there's a bit of truth to that. Budweiser from the tap is typically less carbed than from a can or bottle, plus it's frequently poured quickly by a rushed bartender and looses more carbonation during the pour.

Since it doesn't have that "bite", people tend to take bigger gulps and get them down quicker. This leads to the perception that tap beer messes you up faster than bottled (or canned) beer. There would likely be no difference if he measured it out ounce for ounce, but it can definitely seem that way based on casual perception.

And then there are screwy liquor laws. I seem to recall that there are some states where bars can serve "normal" beer but most places where you can buy a 12-pack to take home are restricted to 3%.... In that case the stuff on tap would definitely mess you up faster, but it would still have nothing to do with the source of the CO2.

Assuming you're non-brewing buddy is a BMC drinker, there's a bit of truth to that. Budweiser from the tap is typically less carbed than from a can or bottle, plus it's frequently poured quickly by a rushed bartender and looses more carbonation during the pour.

Since it doesn't have that "bite", people tend to take bigger gulps and get them down quicker. This leads to the perception that tap beer messes you up faster than bottled (or canned) beer. There would likely be no difference if he measured it out ounce for ounce, but it can definitely seem that way based on casual perception.

And then there are screwy liquor laws. I seem to recall that there are some states where bars can serve "normal" beer but most places where you can buy a 12-pack to take home are restricted to 3%.... In that case the stuff on tap would definitely mess you up faster, but it would still have nothing to do with the source of the CO2.

But, on the flip side of that coin, doesn't a higher level of carbon dioxide help the alcohol get into the bloodstream quicker?? Thought that was one of the reasons Champagne, even though it's a lower alcohol content than quite a few other white wines, gets you more piddled and gives a certain "high".

The last beer you drink will make you more intoxicated than the first one.

I don't really care how much alcohol is in a good brew. I mean, yes, the alcohol is awesome. Who doesn't like a good buzz from time to time? As long as it tastes good and is well-done, the hooch is just kind of an added bonus.

You are overthinking this.

5 12 oz beers vs 5 16-20 oz beers.

Back