Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DzR

Reaction score
Put down this Australian Pale Ale about 2 weeks ago, had a few issues with S-04 yeast and high temps.

But checked it today and its like this,

infec.jpg

Is it ready for the drain to be tipped out?

What is that satchel? Could just be bubbles from a release of CO2. Did you smell or taste anything off?

Sweet thanks,

The satchel in Cascade hops, and yep just tasted it, WOW it tastes amazing thanks for the replies

I have the same thing for the first time. I brought a brown ale up to temp a little and it stimulated a kind of second ferment from what ive seen,kinda like a very slight froth .mine was 2 weeks in and i thought id twist and warm it slightly and got this. Its 3 weeks now and im thinking about letting it dissapate will it? or should i just bottle it ?i dont want to disturb if its still doing its thing.Will it settle out or does it just stay there?

@jonmohno - the only way to know for certain if it's done fermenting is to check your hydrometer. The warming temps could have kicked up a bit more fermentation, or it could have just drawn some gasses out of solution. If you can't check your gravity for whatever reason, I'd leave it for another week just because there's no harm in it.

I'm always amazed by how weird fermentation looks, and how different it looks every time.

@jonmohno - the only way to know for certain if it's done fermenting is to check your hydrometer. The warming temps could have kicked up a bit more fermentation, or it could have just drawn some gasses out of solution. If you can't check your gravity for whatever reason, I'd leave it for another week just because there's no harm in it.

I'm always amazed by how weird fermentation looks, and how different it looks every time.

ok thanks instead of messing with it i thought there may be a nature of the yeast rafts to drop out.I was going to bottle until i seen this and kind of decided to just let it go another week,because i felt like it was in the middle of doing something and didnt want to disturb it. now i cant brew this week:mad:

Get a hydrometer. They're like $6. Then you'd know if you can brew this week. :p

Im pretty shure its done,its not the point. having it finish cleaning up is. Ill take a hydro @ botteling and if i dont like the reading ill wait 3 more days.My point is, is to letting it condition further without breaking the yeast rafts( as in- botteling when its in the middle of another clean up), that was my question.:D I have a hydro id rather not use it as much as possible

Get a hydrometer. They're like $6. Then you'd know if you can brew this week. :p

I probably could have bottled& brewed after one week if i looked at my hydro.;) But what good would that have done?

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, it's two separate questions. "Done fermenting" can mean "yeast has eaten all the sugars they're ever going to eat", or it can mean (more loosely) "yeast has finished 'cleaning up' -- processing intermediate compounds and floc'ing out". When you were talking about seeing a second ferment, I assumed you meant it in the first sense, just because I've never noticed the second sense having any visible signs. I've never waited for any particular indications to decide that a beer was ready to come off the yeast. How long to condition is just one of those things people do out of habit, based on past experience, or as tenets of their own particular brand of brewing religion.

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, it's two separate questions. "Done fermenting" can mean "yeast has eaten all the sugars they're ever going to eat", or it can mean (more loosely) "yeast has finished 'cleaning up' -- processing intermediate compounds and floc'ing out". When you were talking about seeing a second ferment, I assumed you meant it in the first sense, just because I've never noticed the second sense having any visible signs. I've never waited for any particular indications to decide that a beer was ready to come off the yeast. How long to condition is just one of those things people do out of habit, based on past experience, or as tenets of their own particular brand of brewing religion.

But in my experience on here, "done fermenting" usually means simply "my airlock's not bubbling any more." Or "Since my instructions say to bottle after 7 days, AND it's day 7- that means clearly my fermentation is done."

And has little or no relation to what is truly happening in the fermenter.

Back