Aged Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoxerDog

Reaction score
I really got into home brewing back around last winter and brewed a bunch of different things. My third or fourth brew was Eds Apfelwein and I must admit that I didnt really like it a lot, yes it was very dry, but it had a sour/bitter taste that I didnt care for (it was really strong). It was much like a sour wine .

So I took a break from brewing after a so-so Hefe that tasted more like banana bread brew ( I did a late boil that carmilized too much). Anyways I was out of beer today and I felt like a nice cool drink as its about 105 outside right now. Anyhow I thought I would give my Apfelwein another try and all I have to say is wow.

Six months made a huge change, its much more mellow and very refreshing. I take it back Ed, I really like apfelwein.

The only thing I would do next time is add more sugar when I carbed it up, its carbed but not as much as I would like.

Anyone else have the same experiance with aging this a bit?

yes my first batch is much smoother now that its almost gone.
damn - i think i did this with my first few batches of beer as well!

I feel exactly the same way. I've just brewed 2 gallons, bottled in February. I tried a couple a few months ago & really didn't like it... but now I can't stop drinking the stuff :drunk:

BoxerDog said:
The only thing I would do next time is add more sugar when I carbed it up, its carbed but not as much as I would like.

Anyone else have the same experiance with aging this a bit?

How much sugar did you carb it with? I used 3/4lb and it was carbed much like champagne, I wished it was a little less carbed....My second batch came out better, as I used less.

The other batch I did using the Wyeast 3068 had a natural fizz to it probably could have just let that one go with out priming.

As far as the aging bit....I thought it tasted great right out of the gate. It didn't sit around long enough to age...:)

I used whatever the standard amount is for 5 gallons of beer....3/4 cup? Its carbed, sort of like a soda that was opened for an hour, I personally would like to get it carbed up a little more.

After opening up another liter, its much sweeter aged.

Opened another bottle, I would advise that everyone "cellar" some AW, this stuff gets better with age!!!

Back