Not the typical first timers question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
drunken posting when I should be asleep? terrible idea. Sorry Jay you were just trying to be helpful... *Disappears into the shadows never to be heard from again*

what'd you drink last night? i switched from angry gin, to relaxed homebrew years ago :tank:

Sorry, I should have read the whole thread. I didn't see he apologized. Maybe he should lock his keyboard up next time he drinks. :D
I should most certainly lock my keyboard when I drink... I swear I'm not usually an angry troll.

Heferly, It wasn't what I was drinking(though it was a store bought beer unfortunately my first brew isn't ready yet) it was how long I had been drinking. At that point I had been drinking for almost 7 hours. No excuses though, I behaved badly... I'd ban me.

Hey, at least you realized you were being assholish and apologized for it.

Welcome to the forum! People may give your name a questioning look when they see you post for a short while after this fiasco, but these things clear up pretty quickly with a good attitude ;)

Good luck with your brewing!

They clear up with a few home brews as well. Well, for most of us.

OP: :welcome: stay off the booze when you're posting and i'm sure you'll be alright.

I should most certainly lock my keyboard when I drink... I swear I'm not usually an angry troll.

Heferly, It wasn't what I was drinking(though it was a store bought beer unfortunately my first brew isn't ready yet) it was how long I had been drinking. At that point I had been drinking for almost 7 hours. No excuses though, I behaved badly... I'd ban me.

Nah. You're alright, man. Cheers. :mug:

No excuses though, I behaved badly... I'd ban me.

Don't sweat it man, you've apologized already, no need for anymore... we've all had those kind of nights. It's just that yours can be revisited with a quick search :D Keep asking away... and soon enough, you will be able to contribute to others who are in your current situation. :mug:

It was good you apologized. We have all had those long days of drinking. I can tell you I have had mine and the littlest things set me off for no reason.

In any case, this is the best forum you will find. There are a lot of helpful people, great information and everyone treats each other with respect.

To get back to your original post...it would be good to give us a list of everything you have. This way we can give you ideas of what you need. You will quickly find out that there are hundreds of ways to come out with the same result. So we won't be able to tell you what exactly it is you need but we can give you an idea of what we use.

OK, you guys have become sickening sweet, this thread has become a varitable brown nose fest and an example of nerdy forum posting etiquette . . . . . . It was way more interesting when you were bashing each other, WHERE'S THE HATE, BRING BACK THE HATE!!!

OK, you guys have become sickening sweet, this thread has become a varitable brown nose fest and an example of nerdy forum posting etiquette . . . . . . It was way more interesting when you were bashing each other, WHERE'S THE HATE, BRING BACK THE HATE!!!

YOU SUCK!!!! :ban:

I currently have: a 6.8 gallon fermentation bucket, 5 gallon carboy, tubing for siphoning and bottling, hydrometer, 5.25 gallon brew pot, long stem thermometer, stirring spoon, cleaning supplies...
Plan to get within 2 weeks: Homemade Mash Tun(5 gallon cooler design), Homemade Fermentation Chiller(son of fermentation chiller design), homemade wort chiller(counterflow design) and an 8 gallon brew pot.

What else do I need for AG brewing? Any answers will be met with the utmost appreciation and respect.

I currently have: a 6.8 gallon fermentation bucket, 5 gallon carboy, tubing for siphoning and bottling, hydrometer, 5.25 gallon brew pot, long stem thermometer, stirring spoon, cleaning supplies...
Plan to get within 2 weeks: Homemade Mash Tun(5 gallon cooler design), Homemade Fermentation Chiller(son of fermentation chiller design), homemade wort chiller(counterflow design) and an 8 gallon brew pot.

What else do I need for AG brewing? Any answers will be met with the utmost appreciation and respect.

From first glance, a mash paddle or wisk is very handy. You mentioned tubing for siphoning, so I'm not sure if you have an Autosiphon, but if not, I would highly suggest getting one. Also, you don't say what you are using to heat the kettle, I'm assuming a stove-top, if that's the case, I highly doubt it will bring 6.5 gallons to a full rolling boil, so you might need to look at getting a burner (I use a SQ-14). Also, a digital thermometer with a probe that you can place in the mash is helpful. Those are just a few of the things I noticed.

If your tubing is vinyl, you'll want a couple feet of thermoplastic tubing to drain hot wort from the mash tun.

maffewl: All stuff I need... I live in an apartment though so I'm not sure about the burner. I guess I can brew on my patio and explain to the cops that no, I am not brewing meth ;).

jonM: If I use a counterflow wort chiller will I still need the thermoplastic tubing?

Thanks for the suggestions

A good, waterproof thermometer is good for watching your mash temps. You can get a cheapy probe one and make it waterproof very cheaply (search for the BobbyM thread)

Also, you'll need a lot of time on that first AG brewday. It's gonna take longer than you think until you get the process down a couple times.

I usually just use the thermoplastic tubing with the mash tun. (I use a basic immersion chiller so I'm not too familiar with CF chillers.) Anyway, it just makes draining the tun a little easier.

Naaaaah, . . . . . .what else you got?:D

Your beer tastes like vomit...

That's how you get a homebrewer right in the heart hahaha

But in all seriousness, if you want me to taste your beer to retract my statement you can send me some :mug:

Unfortunately, your brew pot is too small for all grain 5 gallon batches. You need to started with 6.5 gallons at the beginning.

You can always start with smaller 2.5 gallon batches. Your pot is the right size for that and you can ferment it in that 5-gal carboy with no problems. An apartment stove can bring that volume to a boil, too.

Joe K: Is the 8 gallon brew pot excessive for 5 gallon batches?

JonM: I might just do that

appologizing was a good idea, this forum is filled with good info and helpfull people. things you may need: (as has been said) a pot large enough to do full boils, a burner that puts off enough heat to boil all that liquid (if your current set up doesn't). a mash tun (the cooler converted mash tun is pretty cheap and very effective). a wort chiller (not fermentation chamber(which would also be nice to have)) is pretty important with full boils. and thats pretty much all your gonna NEED, there are some other things you might want, but that will pretty much do you for the basic all grain set up. (also i can't remember if you said you had a hydrometer, if not get one).

pretty much you mash your grains somewhere between 148 and 156 (i'm close on temps right?) for an hour then sparge. after that its pretty much the same as extract. people (myself) make it out to be harder than it has to be. do a search on "how to All Grain" and read that. then pick your recipe, either from here on the recipe section, or get an all grain kit from a homebrew store, and follow the directions. hit your temps and everything is pretty easy. all grain does take a lot more time than extract though. give your self most of the day, like eight hours on a saturday or something, for your first time.
and jump in. once you get started you'll see how easy and natural it comes.

and for future drunken posts, look up my thread called "i'm drunk!" (whos with me) :D

when you mash and sparge your going to end up with more than five gallons. you boil off the extra to get down to five gallons, so 6.5 gallons boiling in a pot, with 1.5 gallons extra space is a pretty good way to go.

I would add a grain mill as well, its not required (you can purchase grains pre milled) but If i was going that direction I would get for sure, but I would get the kind that u can attach with a drill.(otherwise it takes quite a while to grind your grains)

Crankandstein_Mill_025.JPG

trmarkel said:

No it's not. It's very easy for the boil to flare up when you add the hops. I have a 9 gallon pot and it's not excessive. I use a propane burner outdoors though. 3 gallons is the most my stove would boil.

I'd second the auto-siphon recommendation if you don't have one already, and I'd also recommend a vinator for sanitizing your bottles. I was able to pick up for less than $20 each, and they've proven invaluable.

There's a sticky thread on here called "Easy Stovetop All-grain Brewing" which has loads of ideas for those of us with limited space including how to make use of smaller pots. It was written by a guy who lived in an apartment. If you haven't already seen it, it's worth a read.

drunken posting when I should be asleep? terrible idea. Sorry Jay you were just trying to be helpful... *Disappears into the shadows never to be heard from again*

Ya know it takes broad shoulders to come back and apologize after the beating you have taken in the last 12 hours. Way to go man! That’s the kind of people this board is made up of and why people like me have been a member for over 5 years. Its all good!

I totally accept your apology. No worries at all. Stick around awhile, It’s a good time and a great place to learn about this great hobby.
Cheers
Jay

There's a sticky thread on here called "Easy Stovetop All-grain Brewing" which has loads of ideas for those of us with limited space including how to make use of smaller pots. It was written by a guy who lived in an apartment. If you haven't already seen it, it's worth a read.

+1
I believe that is one of deathbrewers threads that are a must read. I lurked and read for over six months before posting and getting started. A kitchen remodel was in the way for myself, but I learned a lot from sitting back and learning from the vets and the mistakes of the noobs. I am going through a few extract kit batches just as jaybird mentioned. This should help me get a rhythm and timing and to get used to what needs to be out and why it is used. No shame in extract kits dude; a lot of guys never quit making them.

trmarkel said:

I don't wish you piss water OR infected beer anymore. Just sayin.

I went with a 10 gallon pot at xmas, and I already wish I had gone bigger. No, 8 gallons is not excessive. My last 5.5 gallon batch started out with 7.8 gallons of wort.

With that out of the way, why did you apologize so fast...goddamnit, I missed all the fun :(

Whoa. You need to calm the eff down. Your attitude stinks, dude. You ask "What do I need" and when someone answers you instantly you got offended and acted like he was calling you a moron. Maybe you ARE a moron seeing as how quickly you got offended by someone offering advice.

Calm the eff down, hombre.

Do I still need advice? yes. Do I deserve advice after the way I acted? no. I think I'll lurk more and try to find answers that way.

Awesome! Good job. :mug:
You can learn a lot here. I know I have anyway. And I really hope you decide to hang around. I am already looking forward to the day when have become a "big-name" respected member and others are looking up to you for help and advice. That is when some jerk like me or Jaybird will bring up this thread and dangle it in front of you in good-natured humor. :D
Welcome to HBT....

Ya know it takes broad shoulders to come back and apologize after the beating you have taken in the last 12 hours. Way to go man! That’s the kind of people this board is made up of and why people like me have been a member for over 5 years. Its all good!

I totally accept your apology. No worries at all. Stick around awhile, It’s a good time and a great place to learn about this great hobby.
Cheers
Jay

This right here is why I have been around quite a while as well. This is an awesome board, the amount of knowledge is incredible, and the nice folks here don't drop the hammer until it is really justified.....or when the zombies attack. But that is another topic.

Whoa. You need to calm the eff down. Your attitude stinks, dude. You ask "What do I need" and when someone answers you instantly you got offended and acted like he was calling you a moron. Maybe you ARE a moron seeing as how quickly you got offended by someone offering advice.

Calm the eff down, hombre.

That's the spirit . . . . . . . . . . .

Your beer tastes like vomit...

That's how you get a homebrewer right in the heart hahaha

But in all seriousness, if you want me to taste your beer to retract my statement you can send me some :mug:

Actually I have some corn stalk beer from 2007 that is similar to vomit. . . . . . . Don't really think it's worth sending anywhere though. Your statement is close enough , no need for retractment. What else you got?:cool:

Back