Another first AG'er

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sambogi76

Reaction score
Im just excited about my first AG batch. Everything went as i expected and hit my temps perfectly! And im asking myself: what the hell took me so long to do this! it was awesome, something about taking raw ingredients and making beer. I had a brewhouse efficiency of around 70% not bad for my first, right? Could of been better, but i had to order my grains pre crushed from midwest. most of my grains was crushed, but not broken apart all the way. they broke apart by rolling with my fingers. My carapils on the other hand was hardly crushed at all, tried the rolling pin thing, didn't work. needless to say, my next purchase is a grain mill.

But any how, my beer was a amber. The color and taste so far seems perfect, nice deep amber color. It is fermenting away now...:ban:

congrats! I'm glad that you had a good first all grain experience. Just like you I cannot believe how easy it was. Though the fact you hit 70% on you're first is great. I hit 60 on my first and was very pleased. Again congrats, and I hope you enjoy this new aspect of your hobby.

And so the descent begins ... :)

Congrats on the first of many. :mug:

Ah, my first AG went well too. Unfortunately, I mashed too high (I didn't know at the time how mash temp affected fermentability).

And I've struggled ever since! I usually do best when I don't have a friend over to distract me. And, if I'm organized in advance and have my plans laid out.

Yes, AG is not really that hard, and can improve your beer in certain ways. But there are more options to consider and that is half the fun!

I did my first all grain yesterday & ended up doing back to back 5gal. batches, each pale ales. A bit more time consuming, yes, but all grain is not nearly as difficult as it's made out to be. There's def something about using unprocessed, raw ingredients. I'm hooked, to say the least...

Back